- IKEA offers the Sektion line of Midtown Shaker style cabinets in a white finish called Bodbyn off-white.
- IKEA Sektion cabinets come in standard cabinet sizes and can be customized with different door and drawer front options.
- Assembly is required for IKEA kitchen cabinets. All components and hardware are included.
- IKEA offers hinges with built-in soft-closing dampers for smooth and quiet closing of doors.
- IKEA provides a 25-year limited warranty on their kitchen cabinets.
- Home Depot sells Hampton Bay Midtown Shaker ready-to-assemble cabinets in multiple finishes including white.
- Home Depot hires American Woodmark to manufacture their Hampton Bay cabinets.
- Home Depot offers options like soft-close doors, dovetail drawers, adjustable shelves, and hidden hinges.
- Home Depot provides a lifetime warranty on Hampton Bay cabinets.
- Lowe’s carries Midtown Shaker cabinets under the Allen + Roth brand, available in white.
- Lowe’s uses American Woodmark to supply their Allen + Roth RTA cabinets.
- Options include soft-close hinges, full extension drawer glides, decorative crown molding, and adjustable shelving.
- Lowe’s provides a limited lifetime warranty on Allen + Roth cabinets.
- Kabinet King makes a Midtown Shaker ready-to-assemble line in white called Aspen.
- Kabinet King is a family-owned manufacturer selling direct-to-consumer online.
- Their Aspen cabinets feature full overlay doors, soft-close hinges, undermount drawer glides, and adjustable shelves.
- Kabinet King offers a lifetime warranty on their Aspen cabinet boxes and hardware.
- Cabinet Joint manufactures Midtown Shaker RTA cabinets in white called the Belmont line.
- They sell factory-direct to consumers online and have retail showrooms.
- Features include soft-close doors and drawers, plywood box construction, and Hidden hinges.
- Cabinet Joint provides a lifetime guarantee on their RTA cabinets.
When choosing between manufacturers, look at quality of materials, construction methods, hardware, warranties, and ordering/shipping options. Many of the major brands use plywood box construction and soft-close hinges on their Midtown Shaker style cabinets. Doing your own assembly can save on costs compared to ordering pre-assembled cabinets.
What to Look for in Midtown Shaker White Cabinets
When shopping for Midtown Shaker style white RTA cabinets, here are some key features to look for:
Door and Drawer Construction
- Solid hardwood doors with veneer center panels are best. Avoid particleboard or MDF doors.
- Dovetail joinery on drawers is preferable over simple butt joints. Avoid stapled drawer boxes.
- Look for full extension drawer slides for full access to drawer interiors.
Hardware and Hinges
- Concealed hinges with integrated soft-close functionality provide a modern, streamlined look.
- Look for full extension drawer glides with soft-close to prevent slamming.
- Sturdy, adjustable shelves allow maximizing storage for different needs.
- Plywood construction is the most durable option for cabinet sides, bottoms, and shelves. Avoid particleboard.
- Cabinets should have reinforced joining corners and joints.
- Wall anchors, nails, screws, and assembly tools should all be included.
Finish and Colors
- Look for cabinets with a durable paint or stain finish that resists scratching, scuffing, and fading.
- If ordering unfinished cabinets, be prepared to apply primer, paint or stain.
- Multiple white hues are available like bright white, antique white, arctic white, and dove white.
Warranty and Customer Service
- A lifetime warranty on cabinet boxes is ideal. Limited lifetime warranties are also common.
- Look for at least a 1-year warranty on hardware, doors, and drawers.
- Good customer service can help with any issues that come up with orders or cabinets.
- Look for quality control assurances like third-party testing and compliance certifications.
- Reviews from other customers can provide insights on overall cabinet quality and service.
- Buying from a reputable manufacturer is recommended whenever possible.
Pros and Cons of Midtown Shaker White Ready-to-Assemble Cabinets
Midtown Shaker style RTA cabinets offer many benefits in terms of price, customization, and installation compared to pre-assembled cabinets. However, there are some potential drawbacks to consider as well:
- Lower cost since RTA cabinets ship flat-packed saving on shipping expenses. You also avoid added costs of pre-assembly and professional installation.
- Easy customization with mix-and-match cabinet sizes and adjustable features like shelves and drawers.
- Quick shipping as cabinets are stocked ready for immediate order fulfillment and shipping direct to your home.
- Variety of finishes including versatile white paints and stains that can fit any decor.
- DIY installation lets you install at your own pace. Detailed instructions are provided for self-assembly.
- Self-assembly required which can be challenging if you don’t have carpentry experience. Misaligned cabinet boxes are a possibility.
- Potential for mistakes exists during the installation process, especially for first-timers. Having an experienced assistant is recommended.
- No professional guidance on kitchen layouts means you must get the measurements right yourself when designing and ordering cabinets.
- Damage risks during shipping and handling. Review cabinets upon delivery and file claims for any defects or issues.
- Duration of installation can take days or weeks depending on kitchen scope and your skill level. Additional labor costs may apply if hiring a carpenter.
Installation Tips for Assembling Midtown Shaker White RTA Cabinets
Installing ready-to-assemble Midtown Shaker cabinets on your own can be a big undertaking, but also a cost-effective option if done properly. Here are some top tips for a successful assembly process:
Carefully review instructions. Read through all provided instructions, component lists, and diagrams fully before starting. Understand each step thoroughly.
Organize hardware and tools. Separate all hardware included into labeled containers/bags for each cabinet. Have all necessary tools on hand including a power drill.
Clean workspace. Choose a wide, clean area for unboxing and assembly. Protect flooring and surfaces from potential spills and scratches.
Follow sequence. Assemble cabinets in the order shown in instructions, typically starting with base units then wall units. This allows for proper alignment.
Add reinforcements. Use corner gussets, braces, and L-brackets where advised to strengthen joints in the cabinet boxes.
Check alignments. Before advancing, verify each cabinet is square by measuring diagonals. Shim cabinets if needed to level.
Anchor cabinets properly. Ensure cabinets are adequately secured to wall studs or flooring using the provided hardware. Don’t skimp on anchors.
Add countertops last. Wait until all cabinets are completely installed before taking countertop measurements and installing the counter tops.
Use help. Recruit an assistant for the installation, especially for lifting wall cabinets and countertops into place. Make the job easier.
Touch up paint. Dings or damage can happen during shipping and assembly. Use the provided paint to touch up any blemishes afterward.
How to Clean and Care for Midtown Shaker White Cabinets
White cabinetry provides a crisp, bright look for kitchens. But without proper care, white cabinets can start to look dull, dirty, or yellowed over time. Here are some tips for keeping Midtown Shaker white RTA cabinets looking like new:
- Dust regularly using a microfiber cloth to prevent dirt and grease buildup on cabinet doors and faces.
- Wash with mild soap and water periodically using a soft sponge or cloth. Avoid harsh cleaners which can damage the paint over time.
- Remove grease splatters immediately using a degreasing spray and cloth. This prevents stains from setting in.
- Disinfect with care using only cabinet-safe products. Test cleaners in an inconspicuous spot first.
- Avoid moisture around sinks and dishwashers which can warp cabinet wood. Promptly dry any wet surfaces.
- Use cutting boards to protect cabinet surfaces from knife scratches and cuts when food prepping.
- Open windows when cooking to reduce grease splatters on cabinetry above the stove. Use range hood exhaust fans when available.
- Check for wear over time on frequently used doors and drawers. Tighten hinges or slides as needed.
- Touch up paint on any scratched or damaged areas to keep cabinets looking freshly painted.
- Consider glass doors for upper cabinets to reduce visible dust and the need for cleaning.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular white finishes for Midtown Shaker cabinets?
Some popular white painted finishes for Midtown Shaker cabinets include Bright White, Antique White, Arctic White, Dove White, Silk White, and Swiss Coffee. The whites range from crisp, clean whites to warm off-whites with cream or gray undertones.
What thickness should the plywood boxes be for durability?
Look for cabinet boxes made with 3⁄4 inch thick plywood for the side panels, bottoms, tops, and shelves. Thicker 5⁄8 to 3⁄4 inch plywood is more resistant to sagging and warping than 1⁄2 inch panels.
Should Midtown Shaker cabinets be assembled before installing?
Midtown Shaker ready-to-assemble cabinets are designed for assembly on site. Pre-assembling the cabinets makes them harder to transport and maneuver into position. Leave doors, drawers, and hardware detached during assembly for ease.
What kind of primers work best if I want to repaint the cabinets later?
For repainting kitchen cabinetry later on, an oil-based primer formulated especially for painting furniture and cabinets works best. The oil-base adheres well to cabinet surfaces and provides a uniform base for the new topcoat.
How can I get replacement parts if cabinets are damaged during delivery?
Contact the manufacturer’s customer service department right away if cabinets arrive damaged or with missing or defective parts. Most manufacturers can quickly ship replacements for lost components, doors, or hardware to complete the installation.
Midtown Shaker style cabinets offer a timeless look that fits well in both traditional and contemporary kitchens. Ready-to-assemble versions from reputable brands like IKEA, Home Depot, and Lowe’s allow you to get this stylish look at reasonable cost. Focus on quality materials and smart installation practices and your new white Midtown Shaker cabinets can last for many years of frequent use. With some simple care and cleaning methods, the classic white finish will maintain its bright, fresh look over time. Taking your time to assemble the cabinets properly will pay off for decades in a stunning yet functional kitchen you can feel proud of.