Ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets offer a convenient and affordable way to upgrade your kitchen or bathroom. As the name implies, RTA cabinets come packed flat and require some assembly before installation. While the assembly process may seem daunting, with the right tools and techniques, it can be straightforward. The trade-off for assembling the cabinets yourself is significant cost savings over custom cabinetry. This article will explore where you can find quality RTA cabinets in-store and online.
Purchasing RTA Cabinets at Home Improvement Stores
The most accessible place to purchase RTA cabinets is at your local home improvement mega-store. Stores like Home Depot and Lowes have an extensive selection of RTA cabinet brands, styles, and configurations. Here are some of the benefits of shopping for RTA cabinets at one of these retailers:
- Convenience – With hundreds of locations across the country, you likely have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby. You can browse display models in-person before purchasing.
- Selection – Major home improvement chains partner with leading RTA brands like Hampton Bay and carry a vast catalog of options. You can find cabinets for every room and décor.
- Affordability – The buying power of big box retailers means they can offer very competitively priced RTA cabinets. Special sales and promotions can yield even more savings.
- Availability – With a national distribution network, home improvement stores usually have ample inventory on-hand for immediate purchase. You can buy what you need and start your project without delay.
- Returns – Purchasing from a local brick-and-mortar store makes returns and exchanges straightforward if any parts are missing or damaged.
While home improvement stores offer convenience, range of choice, and affordable pricing, there are some downsides to consider:
- Limited selection in-store – While you can order hundreds of RTA cabinet options online, stores only have a subset on display. If you want hands-on browsing, selection is narrowed.
- Inconsistent expertise – The level of knowledge staff have around cabinet assembly and installation may vary. Some may be very helpful while others less so.
- No customization – The cabinet configurations are pre-set, so you can’t request custom sizes or designs. You have to work within standard dimensions and finishes.
Still, for many DIYers, the advantages outweigh the negatives. Start your search for RTA cabinets at Home Depot, Lowes, or a similar local home improvement retailer.
Purchasing Directly from RTA Cabinet Brands
Another option is to purchase RTA cabinets directly from popular ready-to-assemble cabinet manufacturers. Some of the leading national brands include:
Owned by Home Depot, Hampton Bay offers a wide selection of RTA cabinet styles and finishes. By ordering directly from Hampton Bay online or over the phone, you can access inventory that may not be available at your local Home Depot.
- Expansive catalog of RTA kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and storage cabinets
- Frequent sales and discounts, often beyond Home Depot pricing
- Ship cabinets directly to your door
- Must assemble without in-store support
- Cannot see products in person before purchase
Known for high-quality cabinets across multiple price points, KraftMaid sells RTA cabinet lines through Lowe’s and directly via their website. Their RTA offerings include economy options along with solid wood cabinet boxes.
- Can order exclusive RTA products not sold at Lowe’s
- Customize cabinets with accessories and organizational inserts
- Coordinating cabinets for whole house
- More limited selection than full KraftMaid catalog
- Only standard sizes, materials, and finishes
This manufacturer focuses specifically on RTA cabinetry for an affordable price point. Their streamlined options ship nationwide.
- Specialized expertise in ready-to-assemble cabinetry
- Fast production and shipping times
- Family-owned company with helpful customer service
- Smaller selection than big box retailers
- Only available to order online
Buying directly from an RTA brand allows customization and access to a wider product line. However, you miss out on being able to see cabinets in person before purchase.
Shopping at RTA Cabinet Specialty Retailers
Beyond big box stores and cabinet brand websites, some retailers specialize specifically in ready-to-assemble cabinets. These include:
The RTA Store
With both online ordering and a few showrooms in major metro areas, The RTA Store only sells RTA kitchen, bathroom, laundry and closet cabinetry. They partner with brands like EnviroLite, Solera, and Reclamation Concepts to offer an affordable selection.
Another retailer dedicated to RTA cabinetry. They have a wide catalog of products that ship for free nationwide. Cabinet Joint offers assistance through tech support, videos, and installation services.
Ready To Assemble Cabinets
As their name makes clear, this company focuses on RTA cabinetry. They partner with brands like Cabico and Fairmont Designs along with carrying their own Derby line. Can mix-and-match styles with discounted pricing on bulk purchases.
RTA specialty sellers provide a targeted selection of ready-to-assemble cabinets along with tailored customer service. You benefit from their specialized expertise. However, returns may be more difficult if you’re not near a physical showroom.
Sourcing RTA Cabinets on Marketplace Sites
If you’re looking for a deal on ready-to-assemble cabinets, check marketplace websites like eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. Individual sellers liquidate surplus RTA cabinet inventory on these sites. Here are some tips for scoring RTA cabinets through a marketplace:
- Search specific brands and cabinet styles – Match what sellers are listing to your kitchen or bath design needs.
- Look for new or open box condition – Avoid used cabinets with unknown issues. Filter search for new or lightly used.
- Inspect photos closely – Ask questions if details on dimensions, damage, or missing pieces unclear.
- Factor in pickup/transport – Arrange logistics of getting large cabinets from seller’s location to your home.
- Use caution with payments – Never pay with unauthorized methods. Only pay upon pickup after inspecting product.
- Read reviews – Check seller rating and reviews. Look for positive feedback on previous cabinet sales specifically.
Though more risky than retailer purchases, marketplace RTA cabinet deals can yield huge savings. Use common sense precautions when buying from individual sellers.
Choosing the Best RTA Cabinet Option
With so many places to purchase ready-to-assemble cabinets, here are key factors to consider when choosing where to buy:
- Selection – Look for an extensive catalog with variety of sizes, finishes, and configurations.
- Price – Compare costs across sellers. Calculate total spend including tax, shipping, etc.
- Convenience – Determine importance of seeing cabinets in person before buying. Also factor in returns.
- Brand reputation – Read reviews and evaluations of cabinet quality from previous buyers.
- Delivery timing – Assess if seller has cabinets in stock for quick turnaround.
- Installation assistance – Decide if you want DIY or professional install. Factor any help offered.
- Customer service – Gauge responsiveness and expertise to assist with cabinet selection, assembly, and troubleshoot any issues.
Ready-to-assemble cabinets offer flexibility and affordability for your space. Take the time to research both local and online retailers to uncover your ideal RTA cabinet source based on selection, pricing, brand reputation, and service. Investing this effort will pay off handsomely with upgraded cabinets that match your vision and budget.
Where to Find RTA Cabinets In Store: Top Local Retailers
If you want to see ready-to-assemble cabinets in person before purchase, your local home improvement stores and specialty retailers are great options. Here are some of the top national and regional chains to check when browsing for RTA cabinets:
The Home Depot
The Home Depot partners with Hampton Bay to offer a wide selection of RTA cabinets for kitchens, baths, laundries, and more. Styles range from shaker to inset to modern. Browse display models in-store or order from a vast catalog online. Frequent sales and special values.
Lowe’s provides another expansive inventory of ready-to-assemble cabinets under brands like KraftMaid, Allen + Roth, and Project Source. Convenient to view an array of options on display before purchase. Save even more during seasonal sales events.
While better known for furnishings, IKEA stocks affordable RTA cabinetry as part of their kitchen collections. The SEKTION, VOXTROP, and METOD systems include cabinets, drawers, organizers and more.
The Home Depot
This retailer provides an extensive catalog of RTA cabinetry from brands like EnviroLite, Decora, and Reclamation Concepts. Order online or visit one of their showrooms for browsing. Knowledgeable staff provides design expertise.
With a range of RTA kitchen and bath cabinets, Cabinet Joint showcases products at kiosks within select Lowe’s stores. This allows hands-on viewing before purchase. They also ship cabinets directly to consumers.
Barker manufactures their own line of solid wood RTA cabinets. They are sold through dealers located across 40+ states. Find a dealer near you to see Barker options in person.
Lily Ann Cabinets
This maker of RTA cabinetry sells through retailers in Texas and the southwest. View selections like their high quality all-plywood construction models before ordering.
Check big box stores, specialty chains, and local dealers to view ready-to-assemble cabinet product lines. Side-by-side comparisons help you select the perfect style for your needs. If products aren’t in stock locally, ask about ordering.
Top Online Stores for Buying RTA Cabinets
Purchasing RTA cabinets online is convenient, provides a vast selection, and saves money through direct-to-consumer pricing. Here are some of the best online sources for ready-to-assemble cabinetry:
The Home Depot
While you can shop display models in Home Depot stores, their online RTA offerings expand far beyond the physical inventory. Choose from a huge selection of Hampton Bay cabinets with discounted pricing.
Similar to Home Depot, Lowe’s website opens more RTA buying options compared to in-store stock. Access full product lines from brands like KraftMaid and Allen + Roth when ordering online.
Known for an abundance of home products, Wayfair stocks tons of RTA cabinetry. Enjoy discounted costs and free shipping from this mega online retailer. Brands carried include Three Posts, Andover Mills, and Latitude Run.
Like Wayfair, Amazon provides a massive inventory perfect for one-stop RTA cabinet shopping. Filter thousands of choices by style, color, size, and price to hone in options. Look for free Prime shipping.
The Walmart website houses a surprising assortment of ready-to-assemble cabinets at low prices. Opt for convenient local store pickup after ordering online.
IKEA allows you to buy cabinets from their SEKTION and METOD lines online and either pick up in-store or arrange delivery. Convenient for accessing the Swedish brand’s affordable options.
RTA cabinet specialty retailer with a user-friendly website to research products. Provides discounts on bulk purchases and bundles. Knowledgeable support guides you through the online buying process.
Shopping online delivers convenience, selection, and savings when purchasing ready-to-assemble cabinets. Make sure to factor in shipping costs and any limitations on returning products bought sight unseen.
Cabinet Brands to Look for When Buying RTA
While any cabinets requiring assembly fall under the ready-to-assemble umbrella, some brands have a strong reputation for quality and value specifically for RTA cabinetry including:
Exclusive to Home Depot, Hampton Bay provides excellent quality at affordable price points. Made from plywood or solid wood, their wide range offers style and convenience. One of the most recognized and trusted RTA brands.
Known for superb craftsmanship and durability across cabinet collections, KraftMaid uses those same standards for their RTA lines like Brushed Slate and DuraKraft. A great choice for a step above builder basic cabinets.
Focused on RTA cabinet manufacturing, Barker uses quality materials like all-wood box construction in designs spanning Shaker, Country, and Contemporary. Quick delivery makes these cabinets conveniently accessible.
With sleek frames and European styling, Kemper offers a line of RTA cabinets made from durable laminated wood. Includes helpful installation guides and videos for ease.
Based in Texas, Kōhls fabricates their RTA cabinets locally using quality Birch plywood. Choose from standard kitchen layouts or customize with their design experts.
Specializing in RTA cabinetry, Cabico sells affordable, functional cabinets through retailers nationwide. Options include ready-to-paint models along with finished wood species.
Known for eco-friendly and low-VOC RTA cabinetry, EnviroLite provides durable assembled options for kitchen, bath, laundry, and more.
When examining RTA cabinet brands, look for proven construction and materials made specifically for the ease of assembly and install. Carefully sourced wood and stable manufacturing yield durable ready-to-assemble cabinets.
What to Look for When Buying RTA Cabinets
Since you will assemble and install them yourself, ready-to-assemble cabinets have some specific features to examine:
- Wood species – Oak, maple, and birch plywood make stable construction. Avoid particleboard.
- Thickness – 3⁄4” panel thickness provides durability. 1⁄2” can sag over time.
- Finishes – High-quality stains, glazes, and sealed paints will resist wear, moisture, and fading.
- Drawer glides – Look for steel ball-bearing glides for smooth operation, self-closing, and full extension.
- Hinges – Concealed European-style hinges adjust in three dimensions and withstand frequent use.
- Assembly hardware – Cabinet packages should include all required fasteners, cams, and connectors for assembly.
- Modular sizing – Cabinets with flexible widths, standard depths, and height increments simplify installation planning.
- Accessories – Options like roll-out trays, spice pull-outs, and organizer inserts provide helpful customization.
- Toekick – Detachable toekicks make installing cabinets tight to ceilings easier.
- Instructions – Clear guidelines with diagrams or videos explain assembly and installation.
- Technical assistance – Brands should provide customer support to help throughout the process.
- Warranty – Quality RTA cabinets will have warranties against defects and performance issues.
Dig into the details when choosing ready-to-assemble cabinets. Materials, hardware, design features, documentation, and warranty coverage all impact your project success.
Where to Buy Replacement Parts and Accessories
Once your ready-to-assemble cabinets are up and functioning, you may need replacement parts like hinges, drawer glides, or touch-up paint. Many retailers and manufacturers provide accessories to enhance your installed cabinets with organizers and customization options. Here are some sources for replacement parts and accessories:
Original Retailer or Brand Website
Check the retailer site or brand website where you originally purchased your RTA cabinets. Many sell individual hardware parts, touch-up paint/stain, and accessories sized specifically for your cabinets. This ensures everything matches and fits correctly. They may require your original order details or cabinet serial numbers.
Home Improvement Store
Stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and IKEA have generic replacement cabinet parts like hinges, drawer glides, shelf pegs, and door pulls. You need to confirm sizing, but this allows in-person inspection. Also browse their kitchen organization aisles for cabinet inserts and racks to customize.
Local hardware stores and lumberyards stock common replacement cabinet hardware like knobs, hinges, and drawer slides. Again, confirm measurements against your cabinets. They may also sell touch-up paint pens for nicks and scratches.
Cabinet Part and Hardware Resellers
Online retailers like hardwareandtools.com, renovoparts.com, and cabinetparts.com focus specifically on replacement cabinet components shipped nationwide. Measure original hardware before ordering to match.
Cabinet Accessory Brands
Rev-A-Shelf, ShelfGenie, and Knape & Vogt are some companies making organizers, pull-outs, lazy susans and other accessories sized to fit standard cabinet dimensions. Order through retailers or their websites.
Don’t let a damaged hinge or missing drawer glide prevent you from enjoying your RTA cabinets. Track down exact or close replacement parts. Add functional accessories to maximize storage.
Tips for Finding RTA Cabinets on Sale
Ready-to-assemble cabinets already provide cost savings over custom cabinetry. You can gain further discounts by shopping sales when available. Here are some tips for scoring RTA cabinets on sale:
- Major holidays – Watch for seasonal sales around Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, etc. Retailers offer promotions during peak summer and winter holidays.
- New model releases – When brands release updated cabinet lines, previous models often go on clearance. Look for “last chance” or “closeout” labeling.
- Retailer clearance – Stores like Home Depot, Lowe’s and IKEA discount display models or discontinue cabinet lines, yielding markdowns.
- Special savings – Subscribe to retailer coupon books and emails to receive notice about percent-off