Red kitchen cabinets can make a dramatic statement in any kitchen. More than just a trend, red cabinets have become a classic look that pairs beautifully with a variety of styles. Whether your taste runs traditional or contemporary, red kitchen cabinets add warmth, vibrancy and character to your cooking space.
Benefits of Choosing Red Kitchen Cabinets
Opting for red kitchen cabinets offers many advantages:
- Visual Impact – Few colors make as bold and dynamic an impression as red. Red cabinets command attention, lending high energy and drama to your kitchen decor.
- Warmth – Red evokes passion, fire and comfort. Red kitchen cabinets introduce a cozy yet vibrant ambience.
- Versatility – From cherry to crimson to burgundy, red adapts well to various styles including modern, rustic and traditional.
- Timeless – While trends come and go, red remains a classic. Red kitchen cabinets have sustained popularity through changing times.
- Resale Value – Red kitchen cabinets never go out of style. Their timeless appeal makes them a sound long-term investment.
Which Red Shade to Choose?
With so many enticing shades of red to pick from, settling on just one hue can be challenging. Here are some of the most popular options:
- Fire Engine Red – This bright, intense red packs a visual punch. It pairs nicely with crisp white for high-contrast drama.
- Cherry Red – Slightly deeper than fire engine, this rich red with blue undertones has a vintage vibe.
- Burgundy – A red with a purplish tint, burgundy feels elegant and upscale. It’s ideal for formal, traditional spaces.
- Terracotta – This earthy, brick-based red works for Tuscan-style and rustic kitchens.
- Crimson – Similar to burgundy but slightly more orangey-red, crimson has an energetic yet sophisticated look.
What Color Appliances Go Well with Red Cabinets?
When designing a kitchen around red cabinets, appliance choices are also important visual considerations:
- Stainless Steel – A classic combination, stainless steel pops against red for a clean, sleek look.
- Black – The deepest black appliances align with red for a bold, dramatic statement.
- White – Crisp white appliances complement red cabinets in vintage, cottage-style kitchens.
- Matching Red – Fully committing to one color, red appliances unite seamlessly with red cabinetry.
- Vintage Chrome/Nickel – The metallic shine of retro appliance finishes accent red’s vibrant patina beautifully.
Countertop Options for Red Cabinets
Pairing the right countertop surfaces with red cabinets completes the look:
- White Marble – Elegant white marble exhibits a cool, refined contrast against hot red.
- Black Granite – The blend of cool black and red produces an intense, saturated effect.
- Butcher Block – Warm wooden butcher block establishes comfortable balance with fiery red.
- Soapstone – The gentle gray veins of soapstone complement the drama of red cabinets.
- White Quartz – For contemporary spaces, glossy white quartz energizes red even further.
Flooring Ideas for Red Kitchen Cabinets
Don’t forget the floor! Cohesive flooring pulls the whole red kitchen together:
- Light Wood – The beachy warmth of light hardwood floors offsets red’s intensity.
- Dark Wood – Rich espresso-hued floors ground red cabinets with an earthy feel.
- White Tile – Glossy white tile floors reflect light to brighten up red cabinetry.
- Black and White Tile – For retro appeal, black & white checkered tile complements red’s retro vibe.
- Gray Tile – Subtler than white, cool gray tile allows red cabinets to take center stage.
Design Styles for Red Kitchen Cabinets
Red kitchen cabinets meld seamlessly with these popular kitchen design motifs:
With sleek, minimalist lines and an energetic edge, red excels in contemporary kitchens. Pair red with white backsplashes, metal finishes and pendant lighting.
Rough-hewn wood accents, butcher block and brick backsplashes bring out red’s earthy, natural side. Great in farmhouse style spaces.
Cherry red cabinets with dark granite counters and nickel hardware achieve a refined, elegant traditional look.
From diners to soda shops, red evokes vintage Americana. Add retro touches like checkerboard flooring and chrome appliances.
Soften red with white beadboard cabinetry, floral accents and a distressed paint finish for cottage charm.
Maintaining Red Kitchen Cabinets
Red kitchen cabinets make a bold statement, so taking good care of them is key:
- Dust cabinets frequently using a microfiber cloth.
- Use cabinet cleaners and polishes specifically designed for kitchen cabinets. Avoid abrasive cleansers.
- Wash cabinets with a mild soap and water solution. Avoid excessive moisture.
- Touch up any nicks or scratches on the cabinets right away with a wood marker.
- Consider re-staining or re-painting fading cabinets to refresh the color.
- Replace damaged doors and hinges as needed to keep cabinets looking their best.
FAQs About Red Kitchen Cabinets
What colors go well with red in a kitchen?
White, black, gray, light wood tones and chrome/silver pair attractively with red kitchen cabinets. Crisp whites and glossy blacks create dramatic contrast. Cool grays and warm woods offer nuanced balance.
Do red kitchen cabinets go out of style?
Red kitchen cabinets remain a reliable choice. A classic color, quality red cabinets retain their visual appeal and value over time. Well-built red cabinets suit both contemporary spaces and period homes.
Are red cabinets hard to match?
Matching new red cabinetry to existing red cabinets can prove tricky. Natural color variations, fading, and differences in stain and finish often prevent an exact match. Using floor or wall colors to bridge cabinets can diminish mismatches.
Can you paint existing cabinets red?
Yes, with proper preparation, you can paint wooden cabinets red using cabinet paint. Sand and clean cabinets thoroughly first. Opt for high-quality primer and cabinet paint in a semi-gloss or gloss sheen for durability. Apply light coats.
How do I decorate around red cabinets?
Use red kitchen cabinets as your jumping-off point for decor. Pull the red into a bold patterned wallpaper or red bar stools. Tie everything together with metallic accents. Add warmth with wood shelving and butcher block. Contrast with cool grays, crisp whites and stainless steel.
Red kitchen cabinets make a memorable impression few other colors can match. From rich cherry to deep burgundy, red injects vibrant energy and heat into kitchen design. A versatile hue suiting varied styles from modern to cottage, quality red cabinets retain their visual power over time. By selecting the perfect red shade, counter hues and finishes, your red cabinets can become an enduring focal point unique to your space.
Summary of Key Points
- Red kitchen cabinets make a dramatic style statement with their vibrant color and energy.
- Benefits of red cabinets include visual impact, warmth, versatility and timeless appeal.
- Popular red cabinet shades include cherry, burgundy, fire engine and terracotta.
- Pair red cabinets with stainless steel, black, white or matching red appliances.
- Good countertop options include white marble, black granite and butcher block.
- Red cabinets suit modern, rustic, traditional, retro and cottage design styles.
- Proper cleaning and maintenance keeps red cabinets looking their best.