- Install shelf organizers inside cabinets to double your storage space. Use baskets and bins to hold items like toiletries and towels.
- Consider installing additional shelving on the walls, over the toilet, or on the back of the door to hold items.
- Purchase a medicine cabinet with mirrors on the door to allow for hidden storage.
- Use space under sinks by installing pull-out drawers or a sliding shelf.
Create Visual Spaciousness
- Paint the walls and ceiling a light, neutral color to make the room appear larger.
- Install a large mirror to give the illusion of more space.
- Keep the floor uncluttered and use mats sparingly.
- Use glass shower doors rather than shower curtains to open up the space.
- Install a pedestal sink rather than one with cabinets underneath.
- Opt for a wall-mounted toilet to save floor space.
- Choose a corner sink or a compact oval-shaped one.
- Install a towel warmer in place of a traditional radiator.
- Look for 2-in-1 products like combined toilet paper holders with shelves.
- Choose a sink with built-in storage cabinets.
- Install a mirrored cabinet with lights that can double as a medicine cabinet.
- Use a shower caddy that hangs from the shower head.
- Well-placed lighting can make a bathroom feel more open.
- Install sconces on each side of the mirror.
- Use recessed lighting in the ceiling.
- Consider installing a sunlight-simulating skylight.
With some clever solutions and dual-purpose items, even the smallest bathroom can be optimized for functionality and storage. Focus on lighting, mirrors, and multi-use fixtures and accessories to open up and maximize the existing space.
Frequently Asked Questions About Maximizing Bathroom Space
How can I make my small bathroom appear larger?
Using light colors, large mirrors, and glass doors or shower enclosures can help give the illusion of a more spacious bathroom. Removing clutter can also make a difference.
What type of storage works best in small bathrooms?
Built-in wall cabinets, medicine cabinets, bins, baskets, and multi-functional accessories like shower caddies maximize storage without taking up floor space.
What flooring makes a small bathroom look bigger?
Light, plain tile or vinyl flooring helps open up a small space. Avoid dark colors or busy patterns which can make it look smaller.
Should I get a pedestal sink or vanity cabinet for a small bathroom?
A pedestal sink is a good choice for a tiny bathroom because it saves space compared to a vanity. However, a wall-hung vanity also works if you need the storage.
Are there 2-in-1 bathroom accessories to save space?
Yes, you can find 2-in-1 accessories like a toilet paper holder with built-in shelves, soap and lotion dispensers combined, and shower caddies with razors, sponges, etc.
What type of toilet is best for small bathrooms?
A wall-mounted, corner, or oval-shaped compact toilet with a tankless design can help save precious square footage in a tiny bathroom.
With some smart solutions, it’s possible to open up even the most cramped bathroom. Focus on lighting improvements, mirrors, dual-purpose accessories, and multifunctional fixtures. Creative storage like pull-out cabinets, hanging wall shelves, and medicine cabinets also help maximize limited space. With the right choices in colors, flooring, and lighting, even a small bathroom can look and feel much more spacious. The key is finding the right combination of space-saving and visually-enhancing elements for your particular bathroom layout and dimensions.