Transforming your dated and dreary bathroom into a relaxing oasis is easily achievable with some strategic upgrades focused around a luxurious tub. Anew tub serves as the focal point and sets the tone for your refreshed space. When done right, your bathroom can become a spa-like retreat right at home. Follow these tips for a main bathroom makeover centered around a luxurious tub.
Choose the Right Tub
The tub will likely be the biggest investment and make the biggest impact when renovating your bathroom. Take time to explore all the options to find the perfect fit.
- Freestanding tubs – These elegant tubs sit completely detached from the floor and walls, allowing them to command attention. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials.
- Alcove tubs – Set into a recessed space in the bathroom, alcove tubs are three-walled. This style works well in smaller bathrooms.
- Corner tubs – Slipping neatly into a corner, these triangular shaped tubs maximize space. They range from compact two-person tubs to large spa-style ones.
- Drop-in tubs – As the name suggests, this tub type literally drops into the floor. The rim rests on the floor while the base sits below.
- Materials – Tubs today come in acrylic, fiberglass, porcelain, stone resin, copper, and more. Consider factors like durability, ease of cleaning, heat retention, and style.
Take measurements of your space before purchasing a tub to achieve the right fit. Also factor in what type of experience you want – a deep soak, a spa getaway, a quick refreshing rinse, or even a bath for two.
Complement with Luxurious Details
Once you select the perfect tub, it’s time to complement it with other high-end details for a true spa-like vibe.
- Freestanding faucets – For a sleek, modern look, choose tall freestanding faucets in a finish like brass, chrome, or nickel. Install them near the tub’s edge.
- Rainfall showerhead – There’s nothing more luxurious than a rainfall showerhead mimicking the feel of bathing in natural rain. Opt for large 8-10 inch size.
- Body jets – Strategically placed jets targeting sore muscles transform a normal bath into a soothing hydrotherapy experience.
- Grab bars – Elevate standard grab bars with custom designs in decorative metals and posh shapes. Opt for freestanding bars versus installing into walls.
- Luxury linens – Plush towels, robes, bathmats, and curtains take your spa-style tub to the next level. Stick to 100% cotton or bamboo fibers.
- Candles & diffusers – Set the mood with the subtle glow of candles and scent of essential oil diffusers. Keep wicks trimmed and place diffusers out of water’s reach.
Create a Spa Ambiance
It takes more than just a fabulous tub to create a truly relaxing oasis. Attention to details in finishes, lighting, and accessories complete the spa-like vibe.
- Neutral palette – Light, calming colors like whites, tans, light blues, and grays promote relaxation. Accent with texture and natural materials.
- Soft lighting – Good overhead lighting is essential, but wall sconces, pendant lights, and even tub lighting enhance ambiance. Dimmer switches allow adjustable brightness.
- Natural accents – Plants, flowers, driftwood, stones, and other natural elements connect to nature. Go for low-maintenance greenery and minimal dried arrangements.
- Mirrors & windows – Strategic mirrors visually enlarge space, while windows flood the room with natural light. Ensure privacy without completely sacrificing natural light.
- ** soothing music** – Create playlists with calm, zen-inducing tunes. Install Bluetooth speakers to play spa playlists right from your phone or tablet.
Make It Maintenance Friendly
While designing your luxurious bathroom oasis, be sure to also incorporate features to make maintenance as easy as possible. This ensures your spa-style tub and space stay pristine long-term.
- non-slip surfaces – Select naturally slip-resistant surfaces like stone, textured tile, and grout with grit. Also use non-slip mats and abrasive strips to prevent falls.
- moisture resistant materials – Humidity resistant drywall, waterproof grout and caulk, and mold-blocking paint help prevent mildew and moisture damage over time.
- easy-clean surfaces – From vanities to floors, opt for easily washable materials like ceramic tile, metals, glass, and enameled wood. Stay away from porous surfaces that stain.
- built-in storage – Strategically built-in storage keeps clutter at bay for easy wipe-downs. Use moisture resistant cabinets and shelving.
- good ventilation – Proper ventilation is key to preventing mold and mildew growth. Install a strong vent fan along with a window that opens.
Main Bathroom Makeover With a Luxurious Tub FAQs
Upgrading your bathroom with a luxurious tub as the star? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions on achieving this makeover.
How much does a bathroom remodel cost?
The average bathroom remodel runs $10,000 to $35,000. Custom or luxury finishes can drive this amount even higher. Focus spending on big impact changes like a new tub rather than a complete gut renovation.
What is the most luxurious bathtub?
Freestanding soaking tubs handcrafted from stone resin or copper offer the height of luxury. For ultimate decadence, look for a tub with hydrotherapy massage features.
What bathtub finish is best?
For durability and easy cleaning, glossy porcelain enamel and acrylic gelcoat finishes can’t be beaten. However, materials like solid surface resin, stone, and enameled cast iron provide high-end visual appeal.
How do I choose a bathtub?
Consider the experience you want – a deep soak, a couples’ bath, a quick rinse, or a spa getaway. Also measure your space and account for special needs like accessibility. This will help narrow down all the tub options available today.
Should I get a walk-in tub?
For those with mobility challenges, walk-in tubs allow safe, independent bathing. However, they are major investments starting around $15,000 installed. Grab bars, shower seats, and lift chairs offer more affordable accessibility options.
What is the most relaxing color for a bathroom?
Cool, calming hues like light blue, seafoam green, pale gray, and taupe inherently relax the senses. Whites and off-whites open up smaller bathrooms. Accent with texture and plants for an earthy spa feel.
With the right luxurious tub as the centerpiece, plus high-end accents and spa-like finishes, you can transform even the most modest bathroom into a relaxing oasis. Focus your makeover budget on the tub and don’t skimp on details like touch-activated faucets, rainfall showerheads, and Bluetooth music. The end result will be a bathroom that whisks your cares away, however long or brief your soak may be. Just follow the tips above for a main bathroom makeover focused around an indulgent tub tailored to your space and desires. Soon you’ll have a home spa haven just steps away.