A Moen shower handle replacement is a straightforward DIY project that can be completed in less than an hour. With a few simple tools and a little know-how, you can have your Moen shower working like new again.
What You’ll Need
- Replacement handle kit (specific to your model of Moen faucet)
- Adjustable wrench or channel lock pliers
Turn Off Water Supply
Before removing the shower handle, you need to turn off the water supply to avoid any leaks.
- Locate the shut-off valves under the sink or behind the shower wall. They will likely be copper or galvanized pipes with a shut-off screw on top.
- Use the adjustable wrench or channel locks to turn the shut-off valves clockwise until tight. This stops the water flow to the shower.
- Turn on the shower handle briefly to release any remaining water pressure.
- Have towels ready to catch any excess water still in the pipes.
Remove The Handle
With the water supply stopped, you can now safely remove the Moen shower handle.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the handle cover plate, usually on the front of the handle assembly.
- Underneath you’ll see a screw securing the handle to the faucet body. Remove this screw.
- Wiggle the shower handle back and forth while pulling it away from the faucet. It may take some force to break the seal.
- Remove any additional parts like gaskets or cartridges that come off with the handle.
Install New Handle
Once the old shower handle is removed, installing a new Moen replacement handle takes just a few steps.
- First, prep the faucet area by cleaning any dirt, grime, or old plumber’s putty.
- Apply fresh putty around the base of the faucet to prevent leaks.
- Insert the cartridge or other internal components that came with your new handle kit. Make sure everything is aligned correctly.
- Slide on the new handle and secure it with the retaining screw.
- Replace the decorative handle cover plate.
Restore Water Supply & Confirm Operation
You’re almost done! Turn the water back on and make sure the new shower handle works properly.
- Turn the shut-off valves counterclockwise to restore water supply to the shower.
- Turn on the shower handle to check for leaks around the handle base. Tighten as needed.
- Operate the new handle through hot and cold positions to ensure proper water flow and temperature adjustment.
And that’s it! With a little DIY know-how, you can successfully replace a Moen shower handle. Just remember to shut off the water supply first, remove the old handle properly, install the new replacement handle, and restore water flow when finished. Enjoy your refreshed Moen shower!
Frequently Asked Questions
What tools do I need to replace a Moen shower handle?
You’ll need an adjustable wrench or channel lock pliers to turn off the water valves, a screwdriver to remove the handle, and a towel to catch any excess water. Make sure you have the correct replacement part kit for your model of Moen faucet.
How do I know if I have a 1225 cartridge?
The 1225 cartridge has two indented notches on the cylindrical body. You can also check for “1225” engraved on the cartridge. This is the most common cartridge used in Moen single-handle faucets.
Can I change my Moen shower handle style?
Yes, you can swap out your existing Moen shower handle for a different style. As long as the handles are designed for your faucet model, you can simply reverse the handle removal steps and install a new handle.
What should I do if the shower handle is stuck?
Try spraying penetrating oil around the handle base and let it soak in for 5-10 minutes. Then firmly grip the handle with pliers or a wrench while turning and pulling it off. You may need to wiggle it aggressively to break the seal.
Why does my Moen shower drip after replacing the cartridge?
Make sure the cartridge is properly aligned and fully inserted in the faucet body. Also check that all gaskets and O-rings are in good condition. You may need to replace worn gaskets to stop drips.
Replacing a Moen shower handle is an easy, inexpensive way to refresh the look of your shower and fix any leaks or performance issues. With basic DIY skills and the proper Moen replacement kit, you can swap out the shower handle in under an hour. Just be sure to turn off the main water lines first and restore flow once the project is complete. Follow the instructions closely for smooth handling performance. Enjoy your updated Moen shower!