Harvest farmhouse style is the perfect way to freshen up your home for fall. It captures the cozy, wholesome feel of the season with natural textures, warm colors, and rustic accents. Here’s how to incorporate farmhouse style into your fall home decor.
Natural textures like wood, burlap, and linen are hallmarks of farmhouse style. Incorporate these earthy materials into your fall decor to create a relaxed, inviting look.
- Display weathered wood crates, barrels, and wagons filled with fallen leaves, mini pumpkins, and dried flowers.
- Drape natural fiber throws and quilts over sofas and beds in creamy hues like ivory and linen.
- Use jute or burlap for table runners and pillows. Add interest with stenciling or gingham print.
- Set a wood-topped dining table with linen napkins and stoneware dinnerware for an organic feel.
Warm, Earthy Color Palette
The colors of fall naturally lend themselves to a farmhouse palette of reds, oranges, browns, creams, and greens.
- Incorporate rich shades like burgundy, mustard, olive green, and rust for pillows, throws, and accessories.
- Paint or stain wood furniture in warm hues like cherry, espresso, or pecan.
- Use natural materials like wood, wicker, galvanized metal, and ceramics as neutrals.
- Add pops of black for dramatic contrast with copper, steel, or cast iron lighting fixtures and hardware.
Rustic Fall Florals
Farmhouse style arrangements feature autumn’s quintessential flowers and plants.
- Display sunflowers, daisies, solidago, and baby’s breath in a galvanized bucket or enamel pitcher.
- Create a centerpiece with mini pumpkins, gourds, and ears of wheat.
- Hang wreaths made from dried leaves, seed pods, acorns, and wildflowers.
- Place potted mums, pansies, and succulents on the front stoop or porch.
Vintage Harvest Accents
Antique and vintage finds emphasize the harvest nostalgia of farmhouse decor.
- Incorporate old crates, tin pails, and baskets to hold firewood, books, or blankets.
- Display vintage signs with folksy sayings like “Harvest Home” or “Welcome Fall Y’all.”
- Use galvanized tubs, watering cans, and kitchenware for planters or utensil holders.
- Hang an old washboard as wall art or lean it in a corner to hold recipes.
Rustic Fall Scents
Warm, earthy scents like cinnamon, cloves, and pine envelop your home in fall’s cozy embrace.
- Simmer a pot of mulled cider on the stove filled with cinnamon sticks and apple slices.
- Burn soy candles scented with pumpkin, pine, or baked apple.
- Display decorative bundles of cinnamon sticks or dried oranges and whole cloves.
- Potpourri with acorns and pinecones infuses rooms with seasonal scents.
Layer your bed, sofa, and chairs with sumptuous textures reminiscent of crisp fall days and nights.
- Toss a mohair or wool throw at the foot of the bed in a neutral like oatmeal or charcoal.
- Add a sheepskin or faux fur pillow in cream or gray to living room seating.
- Use substantial fabrics like velvet, corduroy, or brushed cotton for curtains and pillows.
- Display handmade quilts and crocheted blankets for their timeworn, heirloom appeal.
Farmhouse Fall Porch Ideas
Your front porch is the perfect spot to showcase rustic farmhouse style.
- Decorate the rails and stairs with gourds, mini pumpkins, and ornamental corn.
- Flank the front door with hay bales to hold large potted mums or pansies.
- Suspend a grapevine wreath studded with dried foliage and berries from the door.
- Set rocking chairs with cozy plaids and flannel pillows for seasonal comfort.
Rustic Wood Elements
Natural unfinished wood brings organic texture and warmth to any space.
- Use reclaimed barn boards for wall accents, shelves, and buffet backsplashes.
- Craft centerpiece trays and wall art from wood slices.
- Display wooden crates stacked on their sides for instant shelving.
- Place a large weathered cutting board prominently as rustic wall art.
Farmhouse Harvest Tablescape
Set a pretty farmhouse tabletop display for autumn gatherings with friends and family.
- Use burlap or linen as a table runner and napkins in complementary colors like mustard and navy.
- Choose stoneware dishes in solid creamy hues and wood-handled flatware.
- Create a natural centerpiece with pumpkins, gourds, wheat, and baby’s breath.
- Decorate with touches like plaid napkin rings, bee’s wax candles, and sprigs of dried lavender.
- Serve comforting, homemade foods family-style like stews, casseroles, breads, and pies.
With its emphasis on natural textures, warm autumnal colors, and vintage accents, farmhouse decor beautifully captures the essence of fall. Incorporate rustic touches to freshen your home for harvest season in an inviting, cozy way.
Frequently Asked Questions
What colors work well for farmhouse fall decor?
Warm, earthy colors like burnt orange, mustard yellow, olive green, burgundy, cream, and mocha work perfectly for fall farmhouse decor. You can also incorporate pops of black and metallics like copper and bronze.
What kind of textures should I use in my fall farmhouse decor?
Natural fibers and textures like burlap, jute, linen, wood, galvanized metal, and ceramics help create the cozy farmhouse aesthetic. You can use these materials for table linens, pillows, wall accents, containers, and more.
Where can I find vintage farmhouse style fall decor pieces?
Check local antique stores, flea markets, estate sales, and secondhand shops for old crates, tin buckets, galvanized containers, signs, and other decorative vintage finds to incorporate into your fall farmhouse decor. Sites like Etsy also offer handmade and vintage-inspired farmhouse decor items.
What types of plants and flowers evoke farmhouse fall style?
Sunflowers, daisies, baby’s breath, wheat, mini pumpkins, gourds, and seasonal potted mums and pansies have a natural, harvest-inspired look perfect for farmhouse fall displays. Dried foliage, seed pods, acorns, and wildflowers are great for wreaths and arrangements.
What are some good DIY projects for farmhouse fall decor?
Some easy DIY farmhouse decor projects include stenciling burlap pillows or tea towels, arranging dried foliage in galvanized buckets, assembling a wood slice candle holder, painting wood signs with folksy sayings, and putting together simple pinecone wreaths or sunflower swags.
Embracing farmhouse style is a lovely way to freshen up your home for autumn. The emphasis on natural materials, warm fall colors, vintage charm, and cozy textures helps capture the spirit of harvest season. Add farmhouse accents like rustic florals and textiles, harvest home decor signs, galvanized containers, and vintage crates to delight family and guests this fall. With its timeless appeal, farmhouse style lends any space a feeling of cozy familiarity and simple wholesomeness perfect for welcoming the fall season.