With growing environmental awareness, more and more people are looking for ecofriendly options when it comes to paints and finishes for their homes. Traditional paints often contain high levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can be harmful to human health and the environment. Ecofriendly paints provide a solution by using safer, more natural ingredients and manufacturing processes. In this article, we will look at five top ecofriendly paint companies offering greener paint choices.
What Makes Paint Ecofriendly?
When searching for ecofriendly paint, here are some of the key features to look for:
- Low or zero VOCs – VOCs are carbon-containing chemicals that evaporate easily at room temperature. Exposure to high concentrations can cause headaches, dizziness, and other health issues. Ecofriendly paints contain minimal or no VOCs.
- Natural ingredients – Many green paints utilize plant-based ingredients like soy, milk protein, tree resin, clay, and chalk instead of petroleum-based ingredients. These are safer and more biodegradable.
- Low toxicity – Ecofriendly paints are non-toxic or low in toxicity. They do not contain hazardous compounds like ethylene glycol, crystalline silica, or heavy metals.
- Eco-conscious manufacturing – Green paint companies utilize manufacturing processes that minimize waste, energy, and water use. Some are carbon neutral or use renewable energy.
- Recyclable packaging – Paint cans and other packaging may be made from recycled materials and be recyclable. Some companies offer paint take-back programs.
- Third-party certification – Look for paints certified by Green Seal, Ecologo, or other eco-labels that set rigorous standards for lower emissions and sustainability.
5 Top Ecofriendly Paint Brands
1. BEHR – Premium Plus Eco-Friendly Interior Paint
BEHR Paint offers an extensive line of zero VOC interior paints under its Premium Plus brand. Available in all sheens and over 1,000 custom colors, this acrylic latex paint is 100% VOC-free and contains antimicrobial properties to inhibit mold and mildew. It provides a durable, scrubbable finish ideal for high traffic areas. BEHR ecofriendly paints are Green Wise certified by the NSF and meet the most stringent environmental impact standards.
- Zero VOCs, 100% VOC-free
- Greenguard Gold certified as ultra-low VOC
- Contains antimicrobial agents
- Self-priming on most surfaces
- Low odor and great hide
- Durable and scrubbable finish
- 100% acrylic latex formula
- Green Wise certified by NSF
- Qualifies for LEED and other green building standards
2. Benjamin Moore – Natura Zero VOC Interior Paint
This ultra-low VOC paint by Benjamin Moore offers superior performance with an eco-friendly waterborne alkyd formula. Natura paint contains zero emissions and VOCs to provide a safe and healthy indoor environment. The durable paint film resists stains, moisture, and mildew while providing excellent hide and leveling. Benjamin Moore’s patented color lock technology keeps colors true. The paint is Greenguard Gold certified and participates in a take-back recycling program.
- Zero VOCs, zero emissions
- Waterborne alkyd formula
- Greenguard Gold certification
- Stain, moisture and mildew resistant
- Excellent hide and leveling
- Durable paint film
- Patented color lock technology
- Take-back recycling program
- Green Promise designation by Benjamin Moore
3. Mythic Paint – Eco-Friendly Zero VOC Paint
Mythic Paint makes premium designer paints with an eco-friendly zero VOC formula. Their paints are certified EPA Safer Choice for a healthy indoor environment. Derived from renewable vegetable oils, Mythic paint contains no toxins, carcinogens, heavy metals or solvents. It provides even coverage, vivid colors, and washable low-luster sheens. Mythic Paint offers extensive color options through partner color centers, and all paint cans are BPA-free and recyclable.
- Zero VOC formula
- Derived from renewable vegetable oils
- EPA Safer Choice certified
- Contains no toxins, carcinogens or solvents
- Excellent coverage and vivid colors
- Low-luster washable sheens
- Extensive color options
- BPA-free recyclable paint cans
4. Rodda Paint – Zero VOC Interior and Exterior Paint
For over 80 years, Rodda Paint Company has been manufacturing zero and low VOC paints. Their premium interior and exterior water-based acrylic latex paints contain fewer than 5 grams per liter VOCs. Rodda paints are Green Seal certified and utilize recycled packaging. They offer protection against mold, mildew, and moisture while providing a durable and scrubbable finish. Rodda provides extensive color options, specialized painting tools, and experienced staff.
- Zero to low VOC, less than 5 g/L
- Premium interior and exterior paints
- Water-based 100% acrylic latex binder
- Green Seal certified
- Recycled paint cans available
- Resists mold, mildew, and moisture
- Durable and scrubbable finish
- Extensive color options and tools
- Professional painting specialists
5. ECOS Paints – Eco-Friendly Interior Paint
ECOS makes a full line of eco-friendly painting products, including zero VOC latex paints. Their interior paints utilize a proprietary biodegradable resin made from recycled plastic bottles. ECOS paints contain no VOCs or toxic chemicals and are Green Seal certified. They provide excellent hide, adhesion, and coverage with a durable washable finish. ECOS offers extensive color options, 100% recycled paint cans, and recycled cardboard paint shippers.
- Zero VOC 100% acrylic latex formula
- Proprietary biodegradable resin
- Made from recycled plastic bottles
- No VOCs or toxic chemicals
- Green Seal certified
- Excellent hide, adhesion and coverage
- Durable and washable finish
- Extensive colors available
- 100% recycled paint cans
- Recycled cardboard paint shippers
Benefits of Using Ecofriendly Paints
Switching to zero or low VOC ecofriendly paints provides many benefits:
- Improved indoor air quality – Low VOC paints reduce exposure to emissions and off-gassing that pollute indoor air. This creates a healthier home environment.
- Low odor – Conventional paint odors come mostly from VOCs that ecofriendly paints eliminate or reduce. There is little to no paint smell.
- Easier clean-up – Many green paints clean up with water instead of chemical thinners. Cleanup is easier and safer.
- Environmental sustainability – Ecofriendly paints are better for the environment due to fewer emissions, renewable ingredients, and recyclable packaging.
- Durability – Most zero VOC paints offer performance on par with conventional options in terms of hide, durability, stain resistance, and washability.
- Safety – Natural plant-based ingredients reduce toxic exposure during manufacture and use compared to standard paints.
- Eco-certification – Third party eco-labels provide assurance that paint meets the highest emissions and sustainability standards.
Easy Green: 5 Ecofriendly Paint Companies
Choosing to go green with your paint options ensures you’re doing your part for the environment. Here are five excellent ecofriendly paint brands making it easy to go green:
- BEHR – With its Premium Plus line, BEHR offers an extensive selection of top-quality interior and exterior zero VOC paints.
- Benjamin Moore – For exceptional performance and zero emissions, look to Benjamin Moore’s ultra-low VOC Natura paint.
- Mythic Paint – Their plant-based paints contain zero VOCs and no toxic chemicals to provide a safer choice.
- Rodda Paint – Rodda manufactures durable, scrubbable zero VOC interior and exterior paints that are Green Seal certified.
- ECOS Paints – Created from recycled plastic bottles, ECOS zero VOC paints provide excellent coverage and sustainability.
Ecofriendly Paint Considerations
Here are some useful tips when selecting and using ecofriendly low or no VOC paint:
- Check that paints are certified by Greenguard, Green Seal, EPA Safer Choice, or other eco-labels to meet sustainability standards.
- Calculate how much paint is needed accurately to avoid waste. Ecofriendly paint cannot be disposed of easily.
- For health reasons, select zero or lowest VOC paints available for indoor use. Lower VOCs are fine for exterior surfaces.
- Test paint samples on surfaces first to ensure satisfactory hide, coverage and durability.
- Prime surfaces first for proper adhesion and best results when using ecofriendly paints.
- Follow paint can directions precisely for application methods, drying times, clean-up, storage, and disposal.
- Use quality applicators, drop cloths, and tape to minimize messes requiring excessive clean-up.
- Store unused paint properly in sealed containers to maximize shelf life since ecofriendly paints may have shorter lifespan.
Ecofriendly Paint Options by Room
Here are some of the best ecofriendly paint options for different rooms in a home:
Kitchens and Bathrooms
Look for zero VOC acrylic latex paints like BEHR Premium Plus Interior or Benjamin Moore Natura. These resist moisture, stains, and mildew while allowing frequent cleaning. Glossy sheens also provide wipeable surfaces.
Bedrooms and Living Rooms
Mythic Paint’s zero VOC formula or ECOS plant-based paints are ideal choices to minimize toxic exposure in rooms where you spend a lot of time. Opt for washable low or eggshell sheens.
Kids’ Rooms and Playrooms
Use no VOC paints like Rodda or ECOS to avoid children’s exposure to toxins. These are safe yet durable choices that stand up well to cleaning and wear and tear.
Hallways and High Traffic Areas
BEHR Premium Plus and Rodda zero VOC paints hold up excellently in high traffic areas that need occasional scrubbing and cleaning. Choose satin, eggshell or semi-gloss finishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is ecofriendly paint more expensive?
Ecofriendly paints often cost moderately more than conventional options but prices continue to fall as green paints gain mainstream popularity. With sales and special offers, costs are now similar for many quality brands.
Does zero VOC paint smell?
Unlike conventional paints, zero VOC ecofriendly paints emit minimal to no odor because they don’t contain smelly chemicals that volatilize. Some plant-based paints have faint smells from natural ingredients.
Is ecofriendly paint really better for you?
Yes, zero and low VOC ecofriendly paints significantly reduce exposure to emissions and toxins that lower indoor air quality. This is much healthier, especially for children, seniors, and those with chemical sensitivities.
Does green paint have good coverage?
Most quality ecofriendly paint brands offer coverage, hide and durability comparable to standard paints. Priming surfaces levels out absorbency for best coverage. Multiple coats and proper application also ensure good coverage.
Is green paint hard to find?
While availability was once limited, most major paint brands now offer extensive eco-friendly paint choices. BEHR, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, Rodda, Mythic and ECOS are examples of brands widely available at home improvement stores.
Ecofriendly zero and low VOC paints from trusted brands offer an excellent solution for improving indoor air quality without sacrificing high performance and beautiful colors. They provide safer and healthier paint options that are better for people and the planet. With top quality and more availability, going green with your next painting project is truly an easy choice to make.