Ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets have become increasingly popular in recent years for homeowners looking to remodel their kitchens or bathrooms on a budget. RTA cabinets come flat-packed with all the parts and hardware needed for assembly. They offer significant cost savings over custom cabinetry, while still providing quality construction and a wide range of customizable options.
One common question that arises with RTA cabinets is whether you can purchase additional shelves or other interior parts separately. The short answer is yes – most RTA cabinet manufacturers sell replacement and extra shelves, boards, drawers, and other internal accessories. Here is a more in-depth look at buying extra parts for RTA cabinets:
Where to Buy Extra RTA Cabinet Shelves and Accessories
The easiest option is to purchase any extra shelves, boards, or hardware directly from the original manufacturer of your RTA cabinets. Most companies sell all the replacement parts and extra accessories you might need:
- Shelves – Additional shelves are commonly available for wall cabinets, base cabinets, and tall pantry units. You can buy extra adjustable shelves, fixed shelves, and specialty pull-out shelves.
- Drawers – Many RTA brands sell replacement and extra drawers for base cabinets, including drawer boxes, fronts, and drawer slides.
- Interior Boards – You can purchase extra back panels, bottom panels, division boards, and side panels for the interior of cabinets.
- Hardware – Hinges, drawer slides, shelf pins and other hardware accessories are available.
Replacement parts are often listed under the “Replacement Parts” or “Accessories” sections of the manufacturer’s website. You simply need to know your exact cabinet brand and style name.
Why You May Need Extra Shelves or Boards
There are a few common reasons you may need to purchase additional shelves or interior boards separately for your RTA cabinets:
- Adjusting Shelf Height or Spacing – The factory-installed shelves may not work for your storage needs. Extra shelves allow you to customize the spacing.
- Filling Gaps for Odd Sized Cabinets – If you have an oddly sized corner cabinet or a special application, you may need a custom shelf to fit correctly.
- Adding Pull-Out Shelves – Pull-out shelves maximize storage in base and pantry cabinets. These are usually purchased separately.
- Damaged or Missing Parts – Sometimes shelves get damaged in shipping or assembly. Replacement parts are readily available.
- Expanding Storage Capacity – Additional shelves let you add more vertical storage as needed, especially in pantry cabinets.
Tips for Buying RTA Cabinet Replacement Parts
Here are some useful tips to ensure you get the right replacement and extra parts for your ready-to-assemble cabinets:
- Carefully measure the interior dimensions of your cabinet first to determine what size boards or shelves you need.
- Review the product descriptions for dimensions, material, and finish to match your existing cabinets.
- If buying hardware, check that replacement hinges, slides, or pins are compatible with your cabinet style.
- Call the manufacturer directly if you have any questions about ordering the right parts.
- Order extras such as drawer fronts or molding to have handy for future repairs.
- Consider adding organizers or other specialty storage accessories while you are ordering replacement items.
Are the Parts Easy to Install?
Installing additional RTA cabinet shelves or other interior accessories is a relatively easy DIY project for most homeowners. The parts are designed for simple assembly with pre-drilled holes and cam locks or dowels.
Here’s a quick overview of the process:
- Carefully measure and mark the interior location for new boards.
- Drill pilot holes if needed for shelves, panels, or boards.
- Align the parts and snap into place using the pre-drilled cam lock holes or dowel pins.
- Adjust the part into the final position and tighten cam lock screws if needed.
- For roll-out shelves or drawers, follow the manufacturer instructions to install the slide hardware first.
- Make any final adjustments to ensure the parts are level and secure.
With a few basic tools and the detailed instructions provided by the cabinet manufacturer, you can usually install additional RTA cabinet parts in about 30-60 minutes per cabinet. Take your time to ensure proper alignment.
The convenience of being able to purchase extra RTA cabinet shelves, boards, drawers, and other accessories directly from the manufacturer is a great benefit. With some simple planning to get the right size parts, you can easily customize and maximize the storage capacity of your ready-to-assemble cabinets. Investing in quality replacement components can extend the life of your RTA cabinetry as well.