Faucets are one of the most essential features in any bathroom. They allow you to access running water for washing your face, brushing teeth, and more. When selecting bathroom faucets, bronze has become an increasingly popular material option. Bronze bathroom faucets add a touch of timeless, old-world elegance to this important bathroom feature.
In this complete guide, we’ll explore why you may want to opt for bronze bathroom faucets. We’ll look at the pros and cons of bronze faucets, the best bronze finishes, the top styles and configurations, pricing considerations, top brands, maintenance tips, and much more.
Let’s dive in and find out if bronze is the right aesthetic choice for your bathroom remodel or refresh.
What Are Bronze Bathroom Faucets?
Bronze bathroom faucets are faucets made from bronze metal alloys for installation in the bathroom. Bronze is an alloy containing mainly copper along with other metals like tin, zinc, silicon, manganese, and aluminum. The exact metal composition varies by manufacturer.
Bronze has been used in faucet creation for centuries. This material is valued for its attractive vintage look, durability, and corrosion resistance. Bronze develops a lovely, dark patina over time that adds to its old-world style.
Today, bronze bathroom faucets are available in a wide range of styles. You can find bronze taps in both modern and traditional decorative motifs. The bronze finish lends an upscale, sophisticated look well-suited to formal bathrooms.
Benefits of Bronze Bathroom Faucets
Here are some of the major perks of choosing bronze for your bathroom faucets:
- Timeless aesthetics – Bronze has an elegant, classic style perfect for both rustic and formal decor. The patina adds warmth and character over time.
- Durability – Bronze is highly durable and resistant to scratches, tarnishing, and corrosion. Bronze faucets will last for decades.
- Easy maintenance – While bronze faucets do require occasional polishing, they are relatively low-maintenance compared to finishes like nickel that show water spots.
- Value – The durable construction makes bronze faucets a valuable investment that will up your home’s resale value.
- Custom styles – Bronze can be crafted into beautiful custom faucet styles difficult to produce with other materials like stainless steel.
Pros and Cons of Bronze Bathroom Faucets
While bronze faucets have undeniable aesthetic appeal, they aren’t necessarily the right choice for every bathroom. Let’s look at some of the key pros and cons of bronze bathroom faucets.
- Sophisticated, upscale look
- Warm, vintage aesthetic from patina
- Extremely durable and corrosion-resistant
- Great for traditional, rustic, or formal decor
- Customizable styles unavailable in other finishes
- Does not show water spots
- Value add for resale
- More expensive upfront cost
- Look may not suit contemporary bathrooms
- Dark color shows dirt easily
- Acidic cleaners can damage finish
- Needs occasional re-polishing and waxing
- Limited style options from some faucet brands
As you can see, the biggest downsides are mainly the higher upfront cost and need for occasional maintenance. But overall, bronze offers significant durability and style benefits for bathrooms.
The Best Bronze Finishes For Bathroom Faucets
Bronze bathroom faucets are available in a variety of specific bronze finishes. The finish affects the exact tone and patina. Here are some of the most popular bronze finishes to consider:
- Oil-Rubbed Bronze – This is by far the most common bronze finish. It has a deep, dark color that gets even richer over time. Oil-rubbed bronze matches most decor styles.
- Polished Bronze – Has a reflective shine when new. Develops a handsome patina but maintains some shine. Works with polished metal hardware.
- Brushed Bronze – Has a matte, brushed texture. Very durable for high traffic bathrooms. Has a more contemporary vibe.
- Antique Bronze – Made to mimic the patina of aged bronze. Has a mottled, greenish appearance from the start. Good for vintage bathrooms.
- Dark Bronze – A very dark, almost black bronze. Provides high contrast against white porcelain fixtures.
- Bronze with Gold Accents – Some faucets feature bronze paired with gold details. This adds warmth and interest.
Consider which bronze finish best fits your decor before selecting a faucet. An oil-rubbed or dark bronze pairs well with most color schemes.
Popular Styles and Configurations of Bronze Bath Faucets
Bronze bathroom faucets come in a diverse range of configurations and decorative styles. Here are some of the most popular design options to consider:
Bathroom Faucet Styles
- Widespread – Separate handles set apart from the spout allow flexible placement. Traditional style.
- Centerset – Combined spout and handles on a single base. Common and affordable option.
- Single-hole – Single faucet with one hole for the spout and attached handles. Minimalist.
- Wall-mounted – Faucet installs directly on the wall. Great for small bathrooms.
- Vessel fillers – Match statement vessel sinks. Dramatic styling.
- Bridge – Makes a bold style statement with the spout bridging the two handles.
- Curls – Elegant, looping curls add formality.
- Knobs – Round, decorative knobs mimic antique designs.
- Lever – Sleek, straight lever handles fit modern rooms.
- Cross – Crisscrossing handles have an eye-catching effect.
- Fish – Fish-shaped handles and spouts for coastal charm.
- Scrolls – Intricate scrollwork for traditional lavishness.
Consider both the configuration and decorative details when selecting your bronze bathroom faucet. Widespread styles work well for larger sinks and freestanding tubs. Centerset faucets nicely fit standard 60″ bathroom vanities with single sink bowls. Opt for wall-mount for a minimalist look.
Bronze Bathroom Faucet Pricing
Pricing for bronze bathroom faucets can range quite a bit based on the quality, brand, style, and configuration. Here’s what to expect:
- Low-end – $80 to $200
- Mid-range – $200 to $600
- High-end – $600 to $2,000+
Factors that increase the price include a widespread configuration, premium finishes like oil-rubbed bronze, intricate decorative details, smart features like touch sensors, high-end brands like Kalia or Newport Brass, and certified WaterSense models.
You can find very affordable bronze-toned faucets under $100, but these likely won’t be solid bronze construction. Look for “bronze finish” or “bronze coating” descriptors on ultra cheap faucets. Solid bronze costs more but is far more durable.
Aim for the $200 to $500 range for good quality bronze bathroom faucets, with $300 to $400 being the sweet spot for a nice centerset style bronze faucet from a reputable manufacturer.
Top Brands of Bronze Bathroom Faucets
If you want a bronze bathroom faucet of the highest caliber, look for models from these industry-leading brands:
- Moen – Known for exceptional quality and lifetime warranty. Popular bronze finishes.
- Delta – Combines classic style with innovative Touch2O technology. Great bronze selection.
- Kohler – Offers both traditional and contemporary bronze faucet designs.
- American Standard – Provides excellent value along with cutting-edge features.
- Grohe – German-engineered smart faucets with high-quality bronze options.
- Hansgrohe – Focuses on eco-friendly water saving designs. Durable, stylish bronze models available.
- California Faucets – Customizable bronze faucets made in the USA. Lifetime guarantee.
- Rohl – Luxury brand specializing in authentic metal finishes like antique bronze.
Sticking with these reputable plumbing fixture companies ensures you get the highest quality bronze bathroom faucets.
How to Care for Bronze Bathroom Faucets
While bronze stands up well to normal wear and tear, you’ll want to take a few steps to keep your bronze faucets looking their best:
- Use mild cleaners – Avoid abrasive cleansers or anything highly acidic that could damage the finish. Use gentle liquid dish soap instead.
- Dry after cleaning – Always thoroughly dry bronze faucets after cleaning to prevent water spots. You can also apply a small amount of olive oil to maintain the patina.
- Polish gently – Use a soft rag and gentle metal polishing cream specifically made for bronze to occasionally restore shine.
- Protect the finish – Coat with paste wax 1-2 times per year. This protects the patina and prevents buildup.
- Fix drips promptly – Dripping water can stain bronze finishes. Replace washers at the first sign of any leak.
With just a little TLC, your bronze bathroom faucets will develop a wonderful, rich patina and maintain their vintage elegance for decades to come.
Bronze Bathroom Faucet FAQs
Let’s wrap up with answers to some frequently asked questions about bronze bathroom faucets:
Are bronze faucets better than other finishes?
Bronze faucets are extremely durable and ideal for high traffic areas. The finish is less prone to showing water spots and stains compared to chrome or nickel. Bronze also offers a richer, more upscale look than basic stainless steel. But note that bronze has a higher upfront cost.
Do bronze faucets turn green?
Natural bronze can develop a greenish patina over time, like the Statue of Liberty. Most bronze bathroom faucets today have finishes that create a darker, blackish patina rather than green. Top brands use durable finishes that will not turn green from bathroom conditions.
How should you clean bronze faucets?
Avoid abrasive cleaners and scrubbing that could damage the finish. Instead use mild dish soap, wipe gently with a soft sponge, and thoroughly dry. For polishing tarnished spots, use a specially formulated bronze cleaner and polish made for home use.
Can you paint over bronze faucets?
It’s not recommended. The finish helps protect the bronze metal underneath from corrosion. If you want to change the color, replace the faucets rather than trying to paint over bronze.
Why are my bronze faucets turning black?
As bronze reacts with water and oxygen, the finish slowly darkens into a black patina. This natural process does not harm the bronze and many actually prefer the richer dark tone over time. You can gently polish to restore areas that get too dark.
Do bronze and gold go together in a bathroom?
Definitely! Bronze paired with gold accents is a classic, warm combo suitable for traditional bathrooms. Oil-rubbed bronze fixtures blended with gold hardware, mirrors, sconces, and other metallic details looks magnificent.
Bronze bathroom faucets undeniably introduce timeless elegance and luxury into any bath space. The natural beauty and patina of bronze add visual interest while the durable construction allows faucets to serve practically for years. If your style leans traditional or vintage, the vintage ambiance of bronze bathroom fixtures makes an ideal choice to elevate your sinks.
With many configurations, finishes, and decorative styles to select from, you can find bronze faucets to match bathrooms of all types and sizes. Just be sure to purchase high-quality bronze faucets from reputable brands for the best performance and durability. Take care of your investment with regular gentle cleaning and polishing.
We hope this guide has helped illustrate all of the possibilities and advantages of installing bronze bathroom faucets. Let the warm, sophisticated style of bronze faucets make your daily self-care routine a little more special.