Bringing positivity and optimism to spaces through wall writings and murals has become an impactful global trend. Beautiful and uplifting messages painted on walls can brighten someone’s day, provoke deep thoughts, inspire change, and connect communities. We explore 10 stunning murals from around the world that spread joy and hope with their creative designs and uplifting messages.
“Let Your Hopes, Not Your Hurts, Shape Your Future” – Bobby McFerrin Mural in Sydney, Australia
This colorful mural by artist Bobby McFerrin is located in Chippendale, Sydney. It features the quote “Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future” painted in a whimsical font. Surrounded by bright shapes and patterns, it aims to inspire passersby to move forward with optimism. McFerrin’s mwch y/Zok on living in the present and focusing on possibilities has resonated across the globe. This quote reminds us we can manifest the future we want if we rise above past pains. Uplifting communities through public art, McFerrin has created over 30 murals for the City of Sydney.
“Imagine All the People Living Life in Peace” – John Lennon Mural in Prague, Czech Republic
This stunning John Lennon mural is located in Prague’s Lennon Wall. After Lennon’s death in 1980, people began covering the wall with graffiti dedicating messages of love and peace. Today, the evolving mural contains Lennon’s lyrics and inspiring quotes calling for an end to violence. The iconic line “Imagine all the people living life in peace” reminds us of Lennon’s vision for a world centered on compassion. As a symbol of unity and hope, the Lennon Wall continues to uplift visitors from around the globe.
“Your Life Is Your Message to The World” – Mural in Atlanta, Georgia, USA
This impactful mural by artist Mohammad Ali is located in Atlanta, Georgia. It features a woman with her arms stretched upwards beside the words “Your life is your message to the world.” This profound quote encourages the viewer to live purposefully and lead by example. It inspires people to spread compassion through their actions and to lift others up along the way. Murals like this motivate communities to come together to create positive change.
“You Are Enough” – Mantra Murals Across India
“You Are Enough” murals have appeared across India containing inspiring quotes and mantras. These uplifting public art pieces aim to spread messages of self-love, acceptance, and empowerment. Simple phrases like “You are stronger than you think” and “Be kind to yourself” remind viewers of their inner strength and light. Originating in Mumbai, similar mantra murals have sprung up organically thanks to local artists and initiatives like the Humans of Bombay Facebook page. They serve as moving reminders for communities to believe in themselves and their ability to overcome life’s challenges.
“Before I Die I Want To…” – Global Walls Encouraging Aspirations
“Before I Die I Want To…” murals contain thoughtful bucket lists crowdsourced from local residents. These interactive walls have allowed over 5,000 communities worldwide to share their hopes, dreams, and goals. Covered in colorful scribbles like “see my daughter graduate”, “fall in love” and “change the world”, they reveal our shared humanity and heart’s desires. Originally created in 2011 by artist Candy Chang, these uplifting public art pieces inspire us to live life to the fullest and cherish each day we are given.
“Let It Be” Mural in Vilnius, Lithuania
This vibrant mural is located on the outer wall of the Liverpool Club in Vilnius. Painted by artist Gatis Skudra, it features the song title “Let It Be” in colorful bubble letters. Surrounded by flowers, butterflies, and uplifting words in different languages, the mural symbolizes themes of hope and rebirth. The iconic Beatles song promotes an optimistic mindset – encouraging us to accept what we cannot change. Let It Be inspires us to have faith that everything will work out as it is meant to be.
“Try To Be A Rainbow In Someone’s Cloud” – Mural in San Francisco, California, USA
This inspiring mural by artists Sebastian “Sebbe” Sanchez and Sinae Choi is located in San Francisco’s Chinatown neighborhood. Featuring a rainbow colored heart with arms outstretched, it shares the touching message “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” The quote encourages us to spread more joy, light, and kindness – to be sources of hope when others are struggling. Uplifting communities through public art, it inspires small acts that make a difference in someone else’s life.
“You Are Always in the Right Place at the Right Time” – Seth Globepainter in Paris, France
Internationally renowned street artist Seth Globepainter created this breathtaking wall mural titled “Accidentally Wes Anderson.” Located in the Butte Montmartre area of Paris, it reimagines the city in the style of filmmaker Wes Anderson using soft pastels. The mural includes the painted quote “You are always in the right place at the right time.” This simple yet profound message inspires us to have faith in life’s course. It reminds us each moment has purpose and meaning if we approach it with presence and gratitude.
“We Rise by Lifting Others” – Robert Ingersoll Mural in Venezuela
This school in Venezuela features an uplifting mural with the quote “We rise by lifting others.” The message by Robert Ingersoll, a 19th century writer and orator, has been an important source of inspiration for humanitarian initiatives. By helping others succeed, we create a rising tide that lifts all boats. The mural inspires the youthful energy of students to focus on united goals of service and collaboration. It promotes an optimistic mindset where progress comes through acts of compassion.
“Be The Change You Wish To See In The World” – Mahatma Gandhi in New Delhi, India
Located in Lodhi Art District, this massive mural features Mahatma Gandhi with his iconic quote “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Gandhi’s message of leading through action encourages societal change to start with ourselves. As we embody the traits we wish to spread – empathy, courage, resilience – we silently invite others to do the same. Uplifting public art promotes Gandhi’s teachings of peace and inspires visitors to walk the path of nonviolence and compassion.
Street art and murals can have a powerful effect, brightening someone’s day, provoking deep thoughts, and bringing communities together. These 10 visually stunning artworks from across the globe inspire messages of joy, dreams, gratitude, hope and kindness. Their shared themes encourage us to spread light during times of darkness, lift each other up, live purposefully, have faith in life’s journey, and be catalysts for positive change. Which mural was your favorite and why? Let us know in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions About Wall Writings That Look on the Bright Side
What are some benefits of uplifting wall writings and street art?
Some benefits of uplifting wall writings and street art include:
- Brightening someone’s day with a positive or inspiring message
- Provoking deep thoughts and self-reflection
- Encouraging dreams, gratitude, and appreciation for life
- Promoting themes of hope and resilience
- Bringing communities together through shared messages
- Inspiring positive change through social activism
- Making public spaces more inviting and beautiful
What makes an impactful and memorable wall writing?
Characteristics of impactful wall writings include:
- A short, memorable quote or phrase that is inspiring
- An uplifting message that promotes positivity
- Creative or eye-catching visuals like murals, calligraphy, and graffiti art
- Relevance to the local community and culture
- Interactivity, like fill-in-the blank statements
- Simple and accessible language and concepts
- Prominent placement in high-traffic public spaces
How can I find uplifting wall writings in my community?
Some ways to find uplifting wall writings include:
- Searching online for wall murals, street art or graffiti art in your city
- Visiting public parks, downtowns, arts districts, and community centers
- Asking at local schools, community colleges, or youth organizations
- Checking municipal public arts programs and initiatives
- Joining a local graffiti art or muralism meetup group
- Exploring neighborhoods on foot to discover hidden street art gems
- Looking at local business storefronts which may have inspirational signs or messages
What safety concerns should I keep in mind when viewing public wall art?
When viewing street art and wall writings:
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid poorly lit or isolated areas
- Bring along a friend if exploring unfamiliar neighborhoods
- Avoid trespassing on private property
- Watch for traffic when viewing artworks near roads
- Do not touch or interact with electrical boxes, railways, or overpasses
- Avoid areas with active construction or maintenance work
- Remain mindful of tripping hazards from uneven surfaces
What are some great cities worldwide to see inspiring wall writings and murals?
Some top cities for inspirational wall art include:
- Philadelphia, USA – Over 4,000 murals from local and international artists
- Valparaíso, Chile – Colorful street art and graffiti along hilly neighborhoods
- Mexico City, Mexico – Home to the famous Tepito murals and Pilsen neighborhood
- Mumbai, India – Mantra and interactive murals bringing communities together
- Berlin, Germany – Cool street art hub with works from artists like Banksy
- Los Angeles, USA – Mutlicultural murals in neighborhoods like Boyle Heights
- London, England – Dynamic street art scene from Shoreditch to Camden Town
10 Wall Writings That Look on the Bright Side: Conclusion
Street art and murals with uplifting messages can profoundly impact communities worldwide. From Lennon’s universal lyrics in Prague to Gandhi’s wisdom in Delhi, inspiring public artworks remind us of our shared hopes and aspirations. Their positivity encourages us to dream boldly, spread more kindness, have faith in life’s journey, and be catalysts for the change we wish to see. We can all play a part in brightening the world, one mural, wall writing, or act of compassion at a time. What positive public artworks have you encountered that left a lasting impression?