Adding creature comforts to your home decor creates a warm, inviting space for both you and your pets. From cozy beds to stylish accessories, there are many ways to incorporate animal-friendly touches while maintaining your overall aesthetic. Keep reading for tips, ideas, and product recommendations for creating a pet-perfect decor.
Choosing Pet Beds and Bedding
One of the most important creature comforts is a soft, cozy place for your furry friends to sleep. When selecting beds, consider your pet’s size, sleeping habits, and preferences.
Pet Bed Types
There are several common types of pet beds to choose from:
- Donut beds – Circular cushion beds that allow pets to curl up. Great for dogs and cats who like to sleep in a ball.
- Bolster beds – Rectangle cushion with sides that pets can lean against. Offers a sense of security and comfort.
- Orthopedic beds – Made of memory foam or egg crate foam. Supports joints and muscles for elderly or arthritic pets.
- Elevated beds – Raised platform beds that promote air circulation. Ideal for warm climates or pets with allergies.
- Outdoor beds – Durable, weather-resistant beds for porches, patios or yards. Often made of wicker or plastic.
- Heated beds – Self-warming pet beds for extra comfort and insulation in cold weather.
- Covered beds – Mini tents or canopies help pets feel safe and secure. Great for napping and hiding.
Pet Bed Size Guide
Choosing the right size bed prevents joint strain and allows your pet to move freely:
- Small breeds – Opt for a 24″ bed, up to 30″ for stretchers
- Medium breeds – 36″ to 42″ beds work well
- Large breeds – Go for 48″ or larger for big stretchers
- Multiple pets – Size up or use multiple beds so they can spread out
Cozy Bedding Materials
Plush, cushy bedding makes any bed ultra-comfy. Consider these pet-friendly materials:
- Faux fur – Mimics the warmth of animal fur. Machine washable.
- Fleece – Soft, plush polyester that’s cozy yet durable.
- Flannel – Cotton flannel with a brush texture pets love to burrow in.
- Sherpa – Dense, shearling-like polyester ideal for nesting.
- Microsuede – Smooth, velvety fabric that’s simple to clean.
- Natural fibers – Bedding made of cotton, wool, silk or bamboo. Breathable and eco-friendly.
No matter which bed and bedding type you choose, look for quality construction and materials to ensure years of comfort.
Pet Furniture and Accessories
Beyond beds, there is furniture and décor specifically designed with pets in mind. These items blend form and function to stylishly meet animal needs.
Handy Pet Furniture
- Litter boxes – Covered litter pans, furniture-style boxes, and automatic self-cleaning options.
- Crates – Sturdy plastic crates for training, containment or transporting pets safely.
- Carriers – Soft or hard-sided carriers make travel with pets easy. Look for shoulder straps and wheels.
- Gates – Extra tall pet gates keep dogs confined while allowing light and visibility.
- Pens – Portable metal exercise pens that can be folded up and stored. Great for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Kennels – Heavy duty outdoor kennels made of wood, wire or composite materials.
- Water fountains – Circulating fountains with filtration provide fresh, clean water. Models with ramps make drinking easy for aging pets.
- Feeders – Elevated, automatic and slow feeders control pacing and promote healthy digestion.
Fun Pet Accessories
Incorporate pets into your home’s style with these décor accessories:
- Custom pet portraits – Capture your pet’s personality through artwork, photographs or paintings.
- Personalized food bowls – Add your pets name or fun phrases to coordinate with your kitchen.
- Cozy pet throws – Faux fur blankets provide added warmth and accent seating areas.
- Pet planters – Let your cat grow catnip or pet-safe grass inside cute painted pots.
- Paw print décor – Display custom art or shelves featuring your pets’ paw prints.
- Pet toy baskets – Store playthings in handmade baskets matching your room’s color scheme.
- Custom pillows – Commemorate your furry friends with embroidered or photo pillows.
With some creativity, you can design a home that perfectly caters to both human and animal family members. Keep your pets happy, safe and comfy without compromising your personal style.
Pet-Friendly Fabrics and Surfaces
When designing a pet-friendly home, consider furniture fabrics and flooring surfaces that can withstand heavy paws, claws, fur and accidents.
Durable Upholstery Fabrics
Certain fabrics stand up better to pet wear and tear:
- Leather – Easy-clean leather resists moisture, odor, claws and stains. Genuine leather is very durable.
- Denim – Tough, tightly woven cotton denim doesn’t snag claws or show pet hair.
- Canvas – Made from thick cotton or synthetic yarns, canvas is scratch and stain-resistant.
- Microfiber – Tightly constructed synthetic microfiber prevents absorption of dander and oils.
- Crypton – Fabric engineered to be virtually indestructible with moisture barrier backing.
- Polyester blends – Synthetic blends like polyester-linen and polyester-cotton provide durability and stain protection.
Protect floors and walls from scratches with these pet-friendly surfaces:
- Stone – Granite, slate and limestone stand up to scratches, stains and accidents.
- Concrete – Sealed, stained concrete is scratch-proof and easy to clean.
- Porcelain tile – Extruded tiles resist scratches, are easy to sanitize and keep cool in summer.
- Vinyl – Luxury vinyl planks and tiles mimic wood or stone but are completely waterproof.
- Laminate – Durable laminate wood flooring withstands pet traffic and scratches. Use scratch-guard protecting film.
- Epoxy paint – Chip and peel-resistant epoxy paint creates a protective, glossy wall coating.
- Select low-pile area rugs that can be frequently washed to manage pet fur and stains.
- Use rug pads both to prevent slipping and cushion floors from scratches.
- Install runners on hardwood stairs used heavily by pets.
Choosing the right fabrics and surfaces ensures your home décor withstands heavy pet activity for years to come.
Pet Odor and Stain Removal Tips
Even well-behaved pets have occasional accidents. Use these tips and cleaning products to tackle stinky stains and odors.
- Keep cleaning supplies readily available for prompt stain removal before odors set in.
- Mix a spray bottle with one part white vinegar and one part water to neutralize odors.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally on wet stains to absorb moisture and deodorize.
Carpet and Upholstery Stains
- Blot wet stains immediately with paper towels. Avoid rubbing, which spreads the stain.
- Use an enzymatic cleaner made for pet stains, which breaks down urine and feces on a molecular level.
- For vomit stains, use a hydrogen peroxide carpet cleaner to lift stains without bleaching color.
- Follow up with an odor-eliminating carpet powder sprinkled over the stain and vacuumed up after several hours.
Hard Surface Stains
- Wipe down non-porous surfaces like vinyl, tile and sealed concrete with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Use a pumice stone on set-in tile stains.
- Mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide into a paste to tackle hard surface stains and odors. Spread paste and let sit before rinsing.
Odor Removal Tips
- Place bowls of baking soda or charcoal briquettes around pet areas to absorb smelly moisture from the air.
- Use an air purifier with activated carbon filtration to capture airborne odor molecules.
- Diffuse pet-safe essential oils like lavender, lemon or peppermint to neutralize odors.
With the right supplies and immediate treatment, you can quickly get pet stains and odors under control.
Litter Box Placement and Concealment
Litter boxes are essential but not exactly décor-friendly. Use these tips to integrate them into your home discreetly.
Ideal Litter Box Locations
- Place litter boxes in low-traffic areas for privacy. Hallways, laundry rooms and spare bathrooms work well.
- Avoid high-humidity spots like basements, which absorb odor.
- Don’t position boxes near food and water bowls.
- Make sure boxes are accessible – upstairs boxes may be needed for senior pets.
Litter Box Concealment Ideas
- Furniture-style boxes resemble benches, cabinets or end tables. Just remove the top for cleaning.
- For a DIY option, build a litter box cabinet from a rubbermaid storage bin cut to fit a litter box inside.
- If space allows, dedicate a spare bathroom to litter boxes. Close the door when company comes over.
- In open floor plans, use room dividers, shelving units or partial walls to partly conceal litter boxes.
- For small spaces, wall-mountedcovered boxes hang vertically to maximize floor space.
- Avoid scented litters and frequent total litter changes, as this may encourage accidents.
- Scoop daily and add fresh litter regularly to control odor.
- Install cabinet ventilation fans or air purifiers to manage smells.
With strategic placement and concealment methods, litter boxes can blend into any décor seamlessly.
Pet-Proofing Your Furnishings and Decor
From nibbling to scratching, pets can damage furnishings and household objects. Use these pet-proofing tips to avoid destruction.
- Use bracket hardware to securely fasten shelves, stands and bookcases to walls.
- Select heavy furnishings like stone or wood tables that are hard to tip over or move.
- Block access behind and under furniture with wood panels or storage baskets.
- Apply double-sided carpet tape around furniture edges and floors to deter chewing and scratching.
Protecting Walls and Moldings
- Mount scratching pads, posts and boards to redirect claws from carpets and walls.
- Apply claw caps or pet-safe bitter sprays to deter scratching on walls and woodwork.
- Use 3M strips and brackets to firmly mount wires and molding trim out of paws’ reach.
Securing Cords and Valuables
- Hide appliance and device cords inside cord covers, raceways or cable conduits.
- Use cord winders or ties to bundle loose cables.
- Hide tempting valuables like cash, jewelry and keepsakes in locked cabinets or wall safes.
- Place indoor houseplants on high shelves and window sills beyond pets’ reach.
- Secure wobbly vases and objects with museum wax putty.
- Apply clear corner guards on sharp table corners prone to cat collisions.
- Use RFID pads to keep cats from jumping on counters and furnishings.
With a few modifications, you can pet-proof your space and save your belongings and décor from damage. Protect surfaces proactively before pets develop bad habits.
Creating a Backyard Pet Oasis
Give pets plenty of fresh air and outdoor play space by transforming your backyard into a pet oasis. Here are ideas for creating a safe, fun pet paradise.
Pet Friendly Landscaping
Choose plants that are non-toxic to dogs and cats:
- Pet-safe grasses – try zoysia or buffalo grass
- Shrubs – opt for viburnum, spirea or hibiscus
- Trees – consider flowering dogwoods or Japanese maples
- Herbs – choose mint, thyme, parsley or dill
Use mulch and river rocks rather than gravel, which can irritate paws. Avoid prickly plants like cacti. Ensure plants are organic and non-chemically treated.
Play Space Ideas
Designate areas just for pets:
- Fenced dog run for running and play
- Pup pool or water feature for cooling dips
- Sand box for digging and burying toys
- Play structures with ramps and perches
- Shady relaxation spot with a cooling kennel
Safety and Cleanliness
For hygiene and security:
- Installing draining landscape materials like pebbles or artificial grass
- Changing potty areas frequently to avoid odors
- Fencing yard both for containment and defining pet boundaries
- Supplying waste bags and trash cans for easy cleaning
- Custom playhouses, tunnels and agility equipment
- Pet water fountains and feeding stations
- Doggie doors for indoor/outdoor access
- Benches and hammocks for owner-pet relaxation
- Outdoor pet bed, mat and shade covers
Creating a pet playground extends living space to the outdoors for year-round enjoyment.
Traveling in Style with Pets
Vacations are more fun with four-legged friends in tow. Make travel comfortable for both you and your pets with these on-the-go accessories.
Car and SUV Pet Travel Essentials
For smooth driving trips, use:
- Backseat hammocks that protect seats and contain mess
- Seat belt tethers and harnesses for safety while riding
- Portable food, water bowls and treat jars for on the go
- Window sun screens to block UV rays on sunny days
- Custom cargo area mats and side barriers when pets ride in back
Air Travel Must-Haves
For jet setting with pets, have:
- Airline approved carriers under seat or stowed for cargo
- Collapsible food and water bowls
- Absorbent pee pads for long flights
- Calming anti-anxiety treats or vests
- ID collar tag, in case of separation from carrier
- Self-adhesive luggage tags announcing live pet inside
Road Trip and Hotel Extras
Make overnight stays simple with:
- Outdoor stake ties, cables and portable fencing
- Indoor secure anchor tie downs and tethers
- Custom door hangers noting a pet is alone inside
- Pet first aid kits for minor injuries or emergencies
- Black out curtains and pet sound machines for unfamiliar rooms
Sanitation and Clean-Up Tools
Maintain cleanliness on the move with:
- Disposable pee pads, poop bags and trash bins
- Odor neutralizing sprays and deodorizers
- Lint rollers for quick clean-ups of pet hair
- Portable vacuums for heavy duty pet messes
- Cleansing pet bath and grooming wipes
With the right gear, pets can joined you on adventures in comfort, safety and style.
Celebrating Birthdays and Holidays with Pets
Make pets part of the festivities for birthdays, holidays and special occasions with paw-ty supplies!
- Paw print cookies and cupcakes
- Custom pet portraits as gifts
- Birthday pet bandanas and hats
- Dog-friendly ice cream and cake
- New toys wrapped in gift paper
- Puppuccino coffee drinks as special treats
- Custom costumes sized for pets
- Pet-friendly Halloween candy like pup treats
- Themed pet bandanas and neckerchiefs
- Pet parade through the neighborhood
- Photos in matching owner and pet costumes
- Personalized pet stockings for Santa
- Holiday treats like gingerbread cookies
- Pet-safe tinsel, garlands and wreaths
- Photos with Santa at pet stores and events
- Christmas card photos featuring your pets
Fourth of July
- Red, white and blue color themed treats
- Noise canceling anti-anxiety gear
- Indoor staycation with movies and toys
- Ice pops made of pet safe chicken or beef broth
- Photos with bunny ears headband props
- Easter egg hunts with pet treats
- Spring flower crowns and necklaces
- Colorful pet bandanas in pastels
- Baskets filled with new pet toys & treats
The right accessories make it easy to include pets in celebrations all year long!
Eco-Friendly Pet Care and Products
Being eco-conscious doesn’t mean sacrificing your pet’s health and happiness. Incorporate these green ideas into your pet care routine.
- Choose pet foods with ethically raised, organic ingredients
- Inquire about sustainably sourced wild-caught fish in foods
- Supplement with all-natural vitamins and supplements
- Shampoos and conditioners with plant-based ingredients
- Eco-friendly natural bristle and bamboo brushes
- Toothpaste tablets to reduce plastic waste
- Biodegradable poop bags made of plant starches
- Choose USA-made or locally crafted pet toys
- Select durable toys that last vs. disposable toys