A neutral kitchen provides a clean, timeless backdrop that allows you to easily refresh your look over time. While an all-white or beige kitchen has its charms, adding punches of color is an easy way to give your space a bold, sexy edge without a full-scale renovation. Whether you opt for an accent wall, colorful accessories, or vibrant appliances, a touch of color goes a long way in a neutral kitchen. Here are some sexy and creative ways to energize your neutral kitchen with vibrant splashes of color.
Paint an Accent Wall
One of the easiest ways to add an unexpected pop of color in a neutral kitchen is to paint one wall in a bold hue. An accent wall is a great way to experiment with a color you love without committing to it throughout the entire space. It also draws the eye and becomes a dynamic focal point.
Some sexy accent wall color ideas include:
- Red – A true red like crimson or scarlet makes a dramatic, sensual statement. It pairs perfectly with bright white cabinetry.
- Deep Green – Earthy jewel tones like emerald or forest green bring color inspired by nature. Green also symbolizes health and vitality.
- Navy Blue – From a rich navy to a bright cobalt, blue accent walls exude style and sophistication. Blue inspires calmness and tranquility as well.
- Vibrant Yellow – Cheery colors like lemon, mustard, or gold infuse energy and light. Yellow stimulates the mind and appetite.
- Magenta – Fuchsia, raspberry, or pink-red purple tones combine playfulness and passion. Purple represents creativity and imagination.
Keep the rest of the kitchen soft and neutral, then paint your focal accent wall in lacquer, satin, or high-gloss paint for a shiny, sexy finish. Be sure to prep and prime the wall properly so the color really pops.
Add a Colorful Tile Backsplash
Another way to spice up a neutral kitchen is by installing a colorful backsplash. While white and beige backsplashes blend in, choosing a vibrant tile backsplash calls attention and livens up the space.
Some steamy tile colors for neutral kitchens include:
- Burnt Orange – For a sunset-inspired look, burnt orange brings warmth. Pair with brown cabinets for an earthy feel.
- Turquoise – Cool blue-green shades like aqua, teal, or mint are soothing and fresh. Turquoise pops against white.
- Fuchsia – Vibrant pink not only provides a passionate flair, but energizes the room. Radiant orchid or magenta tiles stun behind a stainless steel stove.
- Lime Green – Lively greens like kelly, chartreuse, or lime inject a tropical vibe and balance out wood cabinets.
- Royal Purple – Deep purple hues like amethyst, eggplant, or lilac provide a regal, luxurious accent behind gray or black countertops.
Mix tiles in glossy and matte finishes, combine multiple colors in an ombre or geometric pattern, or stick to one bold color for maximum impact. Then allow the vivid backsplash to command attention behind a neutral range or sink area.
Paint or Wrap Cabinets
For a more saturated dose of color, paint or wrap existing cabinets in your desired vibrant shade. Painting cabinets can make a huge difference without replacing them. Proper prep and primer are key to achieving an even finish that adheres. Opt for satin, semi-gloss, or high-gloss sheen for a sexy look.
If painting seems too permanent or time-intensive, another option is wrapping cabinets. This involves adding new doors and drawer fronts made of vinyl wraps, thermofoil, or PVC that come in almost any color. Wrapping maintains the structure and internal shelves but allows you to switch up the exterior.
Some steamy painted cabinet colors include:
- Fiery red – Dare to go for an iconic hue like fire engine, cherry, or crimson red.
- Electric blue – Perk up a small kitchen with brilliant cobalt or sapphire cabinets.
- Vivid violet – Make a statement with bold eggplant- or plum-colored cabinets.
- Spicy orange – Pumpkin orange cabinets lend a dynamic energy. Pair with blue walls for contrast.
Solid surface, quartz, and laminate countertop materials now come in every color of the rainbow, allowing you to choose a colorful style that suits your personality. Countertops see a lot of action, so a neutral kitchen provides the perfect clean backdrop to showcase daring countertop colors.
Some hot countertop colors include:
- Radiant Orchid – This vibrant pinkish purple adds playfulness and energy to a minimalist gray and white kitchen.
- Fiery Red – For serious drama, a rich cherry red island countertop makes a statement against cool stainless steel.
- Electric Blue – Bright cobalt countertops paired with white cabinets and brass accents create a cool, contemporary vibe.
- Sunny Yellow – Cheerful yet sophisticated, glossy lemon yellow quartz countertops add subtle vibrance.
Let the countertop color shine against neutral cabinetry and accessories. Then echo the colors throughout with a matching backsplash tile.
Replacing major appliances offers the perfect opportunity to incorporate color. While most appliances come in basic stainless steel, black, or white, you can find refrigerators, dishwashers, and ovens in all colors of the rainbow to make a bold impact.
Some sizzling appliance colors for neutral kitchens include:
- Cherry Red Refrigerator – In glossy red, the fridge becomes the focal point against pale wood or white cabinets.
- Emerald Green Dishwasher – For an eco-chic look, choose a bright green dishwasher and coordinate with green mosaic tiles.
- Orange Oven – A vibrant orange pro-style range makes cooking more fun. Pair with blue tile backsplash for complementary contrast.
- Yellow Sink – A golden farmhouse-style sink provides an unexpected pop. Coordinate with yellow pendant lights.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match appliances in various colors. Just be sure to stick to one clear accent color. A neutral kitchen nicely balances vibrant appliances.
Fun pendant lights, sconces, and under-cabinet lighting offer easy ways to bathe your neutral kitchen in sexy mood lighting. Look for lighting fixtures in clear glass, then switch out the shades or bulbs for your desired pop of color.
Some vibrant lighting ideas include:
- Red Pendants – Illuminate a kitchen island or dining area with hot red globes or cylindrical shades.
- Green Under Cabinet Lights – Under-cabinet lighting in fresh hues like lime or sage provide illumination and color along a neutral backsplash.
- Blue Sconces – Navy blue or aqua wall sconces flanking a decorative shelf provide ambient mood lighting.
- Yellow Over Sink – Cheery daisy yellow pendants make washing dishes less of a chore.
- Purple Track Lighting – Aim grape-hued track lights onto a colorful accent wall or vibrant backsplash.
With colored lighting, you can easily change the ambiance for different occasions. Romantic red lighting sets the mood for an intimate dinner, while bright blue creates an invigorating morning atmosphere.
Colorful Bar Stools & Dining Chairs
Bar stools and dining chairs provide prime opportunities to infuse color because they don’t require a major investment. Swapping out seating is one of the easiest ways to refresh a neutral kitchen’s look.
Some hot seat colors include:
- Red Bar Stools – For a sexy drinking area, lacquered red bar stools pop against a gray counter ledge.
- Teal Dining Chairs – Upholstered teal chairs add refreshing contrast at a wooden dining table.
- Yellow Bar Stools – Sunny yellow seats lined up at a white marble island create a cheerful vibe.
- Purple Dining Chairs – Rich purple upholstered chairs framed by neutral shaker cabinetry dramatize your dining space.
Search for durable bar stools and dining chairs in stainless steel, plastic, or powder-coated colors for low maintenance. Or select upholstered seats in your desired vibrant color and pattern.
Colorful Kitchenware & Accessories
The easiest way to infuse color into a neutral kitchen is with accessories like kitchen linens, utensils, and decorative pieces. Swap out small accessories periodically for an instant pop of color.
Some sexy colorful accents include:
- Red Toaster & Blender – Kitchen appliances like a red toaster, blender, or mixer add vibrance to countertops.
- Turquoise Utensils – Handled cooking utensils in mint or aqua colors provide a refreshing touch.
- Yellow Kitchen Linens – Sunny window valances, potholders, and dish towels boost the cheer.
- Purple Coffee Maker – An amethyst-tinted coffee machine or teapot energizes morning routines.
- Multicolored Canisters – Glass canisters filled with spices, coffee, or flour pop against a neutral backdrop.
Mix and match accessories in one color family for a pulled-together look. Display colorful accents in prominent areas like on open shelves, the range backsplash, or on the refrigerator.
Finally, don’t underestimate the power of colorful cabinet hardware like knobs, pulls, and handles to elevate a neutral kitchen’s look. Swapping out hardware is an easy upgrade that makes a sizable impact.
Consider these colorful hardware options:
- Vibrant Red – Sculptural red knobs provide an artistic focal point against light wood cabinets.
- Brilliant Blue – Bold blue hardware paired with navy accent walls emphasize the color.
- Shimmery Gold – Metallic gold hardware injects glamour into contemporary spaces.
- Multicolored – Choose an array of colorful hardware pieces in complementary tones for an eclectic aspect.
With so many options, from spray painted to handmade artisanal hardware, the right knobs and pulls make a huge difference. Allow colorful hardware to punctuate your neutral kitchen.
A neutral kitchen provides a gorgeous, adaptable backdrop for adding pops of color through paint, tile, lighting, furnishings, and accessories. When using accent colors, stick to one or two hues for maximum impact. Combine mattes and glosses and vary color placement for visual interest. Then display bold accessories prominently so they become conversation pieces.
With thoughtful, sexy color additions, you can easily transform a basic neutral kitchen into an alluring, contemporary space that reflects your personal style. Which vibrant color idea appeals to you most for spicing up your neutral kitchen? The options are endless, so have fun and don’t be afraid to get creative with bold, unexpected colors. Your kitchen is guaranteed to sizzle with the perfect dose of a sensual accent color.
FAQs About Adding Color to a Neutral Kitchen
How much color should you add to a neutral kitchen?
It’s best to stick to just one or two bold accent colors in a predominantly neutral kitchen for cohesion. Too many competing colors run the risk of looking chaotic. Choose your one or two favorite hues, then splatter them throughout the kitchen strategically. Paint an accent wall, add colorful tile, and display vibrant accessories in that color family. Pops of color are most effective when the rest of the space stays neutral.
How do you mix and match colors?
If using two accent colors, it helps to choose complementary hues on the color wheel, such as blue and orange or purple and yellow. You can then distribute them in the kitchen in a purposeful, aesthetically pleasing way. Or go for contrast with a bright color paired with black, white or wood tones. Just be sure each color has its own moment to shine.
What are the best colors for small kitchens?
Lighter, brighter colors tend to work best in small kitchens to open up the space visually. Soft blue or green, for example, can make a small kitchen feel more airy. Boost the perception of space further by sticking to just one clear accent color. A small kitchen can still support a bold red or orange accent wall or colorful mosaic tile as long as the rest stays neutral.
How do you add an accent color to an all white kitchen?
All white kitchens provide the perfect blank canvas for layering in a striking accent color. Colorful stools, decorative plates hung on the wall, an electric stand mixer on the counter, or a green fiddle leaf fig plant are some ways to tastefully add color to an all white kitchen. For more vibrance, add a colorful backsplash tile, accent wall, or colored cabinets.
What colors make a kitchen look expensive?
Deep hues like navy blue, emerald green, and rich purple exude an expensive, luxurious look in kitchens, especially combined with brass hardware and lighting. Matte black and wood finishes also scream high-end elegance. Clean whites and beiges look expensive too when paired with textural stone surfaces. Basically any kitchen with a neutral palette punched up by one bold color can achieve a luxe vibe.
How do you choose a color palette for your kitchen?
Start by thinking about the mood you want your kitchen to evoke, whether cool and relaxing, vibrant and cheerful, minimalist, or luxurious. Pull inspiration colors from materials already in the home, like wood floors. Or choose a color scheme based on a piece of artwork you want to display. Another approach is selecting a bold hue you love, then choosing accessories and materials in coordinating soft and pale tones.
How do I choose a backsplash color?
Consider a backsplash color that either matches or contrasts your countertops and cabinets. For example, vibrant turquoise tile pops against white countertops and cabinets. Or choose an earthy backsplash that coordinates with wood cabinetry. Another idea is to echo another color already in the kitchen – if your accent wall is red, choose a red mosaic backsplash tile.
What is a good accent wall color for a gray kitchen?
Since gray kitchen cabinets provide an elegant, neutral backdrop, you have lots of options for accent walls. Bright whites keep it contemporary. Moody blue-grays reinforce the cool scheme. Warm wood accents add natural flair. And vibrant hits of yellow, red, green or teal make the gray pop. Paint the wall behind the range or sink for maximum visibility.
A few well-placed colorful accents can transform the look of a neutral kitchen from bland to brilliant. Whether you prefer an invigorating red, soothing green or cheery yellow, a bold splash of color through an accent wall, backsplash, accessories, or appliances allows you to add personality without overpowering the space. Approach color with creativity and confidence and you can easily achieve a stunning, sexy kitchen that matches your colorful personality. With a neutral foundation and pops of color, your kitchen is sure to sizzle.