Supermodels lead glamorous lifestyles that often include jet-setting around the world for photo shoots and fashion shows. When not working, they seek ultra-luxurious homes in desirable locations to relax and recharge. Many supermodels opt to rent instead of buying these lavish properties for practical reasons. Here’s an inside look at some of the remarkable homes supermodels have rented and what draws creative talents like them to leasing.
The Appeal of Leasing for Supermodels
Supermodels and other creatives in the fashion industry tend to rent instead of buying homes for several key reasons:
- Flexibility – Their work requires constant travel, so owning property in one place doesn’t make sense. Renting provides more mobility to pursue modeling opportunities worldwide.
- Less Maintenance – Homeowners have to handle repairs, upkeep and property management. With rental homes, supermodels avoid all these headaches.
- More Space – Top models can afford to rent huge, multi-million dollar mansions that would be cost-prohibitive to buy.
- Turnkey Access – Many luxury rentals come fully furnished and equipped so creatives can simply move in with their suitcases.
- Lifestyle Testing – Renting allows supermodels to experience different locales before committing to buy real estate there.
For supermodels who earn multi-million salaries but don’t necessarily have the time or desire to handle homeownership, leasing extravagant homes caters perfectly to their jet-setting way of life.
Lavish LA Pads
Los Angeles remains a top destination for modeling gigs and entertainment industry pursuits. Its sunny weather, sprawling mansions and cultural attractions draw creative elites like supermodels to temporarily reside there.
Adriana Lima’s Hollywood Hills Rental
Brazilian supermodel Adriana Lima rented a $40,000 per month villa in the Hollywood Hills from 2014 to 2016. This 11,570 square foot modern mansion featured:
- 5 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms
- Massive curving infinity pool overlooking LA
- State-of-the-art gym, theater and wine cellar
- Floor-to-ceiling windows and glass walls
- Open floorplan ideal for entertaining
Lima enjoyed the villa’s resort-style amenities and panoramic views while modeling and pursuing Hollywood acting roles.
Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s Beverly Hills Compound
English supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley leased a massive Beverly Hills estate for $75,000 monthly in 2016. This 90210 mansion offered:
- 13,500 square feet on over an acre of land
- 8 bedrooms, 12 bathrooms, and a guest house
- Movie theater, wine room and commercial grade gym
- Tennis court, outdoor pool and spa
- Private gated grounds with 24/7 security
Huntington-Whiteley filmed modeling shoots and ads for her beauty brand Rose Inc. at the palatial compound.
Cindy Crawford’s Malibu Beach Retreat
Supermodel Cindy Crawford rented entertainment mogul Robert Evans’ oceanfront Malibu estate for a reported $100,000 per month in 1998. This getaway featured:
- Direct beach access with incredible Pacific views
- 6 bedrooms and 9 bathrooms
- Lush tropical landscaping surrounding the home
- Huge screening room where Crawford watched movies after shoots
- Pool house perfect for entertaining model friends
Crawford enjoyed this tranquil beach villa as a work-life balance from her demanding modeling career.
New York Penthouses
The Big Apple offers supermodels everything from major modeling agencies to high-profile events. Luxury penthouses provide privacy plus jaw-dropping views.
Linda Evangelista’s Gramercy Park Pad
Supermodel Linda Evangelista sublet designer Carlos Miele’s apartment overlooking Gramercy Park for $18,000 monthly in 2007. This 2-story penthouse featured:
- 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and soaring 18 foot ceilings
- Open living spaces bathed in natural light
- Terrace wrapped around the apartment
- Shared access to the exclusive Gramercy Park
Evangelista frequented New York Fashion Week shows and fittings while residing there.
Kate Moss’ West Village Townhouse Rental
British fashion icon Kate Moss rented a historic West Village townhouse from 2011 to 2015 for a whopping $38,500 monthly. Details included:
- 5 levels spanning 4,400 square feet
- 3 bedroom suites plus an artist studio space
- Private rooftop terrace garden
- Stunning original moldings and fireplaces
- Walking distance to trendy NYC shops and restaurants
Moss enjoyed downtown NYC living at this quintessential West Village abode.
Gisele Bundchen’s Tribeca Sky Palace
Brazilian bombshell Gisele Bundchen rented the sprawling $37,500 per month penthouse at star-studded 443 Greenwich Street in 2018. Highlights included:
- 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and soaring 12 foot ceilings
- State-of-the-art chef’s kitchen and great room
- Sweeping outdoor terraces overlooking Tribeca
- Amenity deck with hot tub, pool and fitness center
- Full suite of luxe building services
This posh Tribeca pad served as Bundchen’s pied-à-terre while walking Fashion Week runways.
Beyond fashion capitals, supermodels seek out exotic locales from the Caribbean to Europe for secluded getaways. Unique rentals in far-flung destinations provide privacy off the beaten path.
Heidi Klum’s Capri Cliffside Villa
German supermodel Heidi Klum rented the sprawling Villa Tre Ville on Italy’s picturesque Capri Island in 2015 for a reported $50,000 per week. This luxurious villa boasted:
- Perched along the Anacapri cliffs with panoramic Mediterranean views
- 6 suites accented with antiques from the owner’s travels
- Infinity pool surrounded by lush tropical gardens
- Easy access to Capri’s charming coastal village
- Complete seclusion and privacy far from paparazzi
Klum honeymooned at this romantic villa after marrying musician Tom Kaulitz.
Tyra Banks’ St. Barth’s Hideaway
Supermodel turned TV mogul Tyra Banks rented a $50,000 per week villa on the French-speaking Caribbean island of St. Barthélemy in 2008. Nestled into the hillside, this exotic villa offered:
- 3 suites with king beds plus a separate cottage
- Private pool and pool house perfect for entertaining
- Floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the bay
- Short drive to the island’s secluded beaches
- Gourmet kitchen with top-of-the-line appliances
Banks unwound from her demanding empire at this uber-private paradise.
Some upscale homes renting in A-list circles were previously owned by famous faces. Supermodels can rest assured of the finest features and amenities in these pedigreed homes.
Christie Brinkley’s Hamptons Spread
Supermodel Christie Brinkley rented her Sag Harbor, New York vacation home in the Hamptons out for $140,000 per month in 2020. Originally designed for Billy Joel, amenities include:
- 8 bedrooms and 8.5 baths in the main house plus a guest cottage
- Screened porch, fireplace, and gourmet kitchen
- Heated saltwater Gunite pool and spa
- Dock with 80 feet of waterfront on Sag Harbor cove
- Used in shoots for Brinkley’s Bellissimo makeup line
Surrounded by elite Hamptons estates, Brinkley’s home exudes celebrity style and taste.
Kendall Jenner’s Hollywood Hills Rental
California girl Kendall Jenner rented Charlie Sheen’s former 7 bedroom, 11 bathroom Mulholland Estates mansion for $55,000 monthly in 2017. This Hollywood Hills showplace featured:
- Three-story open floorplan with floating staircase
- Home theater and custom aquarium
- Outdoor kitchen, pool and spa
- Spectacular city-to-ocean views
- Privacy gated grounds on 4 acres of land
Jenner hosted model friends like Gigi Hadid at hot property often featured on ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’.
Naomi Campbell’s Miami Mansion
In 2010, UK icon Naomi Campbell rented a Star Island mansion previously owned by Rosie O’Donnell for $35,000 per month. This Miami palace offered:
- 9 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms in over 10,000 square feet
- Picturesque waterfront views with a private dock
- Huge resort-style pool and entertainment area
- Luxury touches like a home spa and theater
- Prestigious address in an elite gated community
Campbell lived like royalty at the former celeb-owned estate.
Renting amazing homes offers supermodels flexibility and luxury. They can lease palatial properties globally without the hassles of homeownership. Quickly try out new cities before buying real estate. House-hunt at a leisurely pace for their eventual dream home. Save time on cleaning and repairs with turnkey rentals. Feel at home wherever modeling gigs take them in comfort and style. With lucrative modeling salaries, renting chic houses not only makes practical sense for supermodels, but also lets them live like the icons they are.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do supermodels rent homes instead of buying?
Supermodels rent for the flexibility to pursue modeling opportunities worldwide without being tied down to one property. Renting also avoids the maintenance hassles of homeownership so they can focus on modeling work.
What amenities do supermodels seek in rental homes?
Top models favor luxury features like home theatres, fitness studios, wine cellars, pools, and ample grounds for privacy in their rental homes. Concierge services, security and smart home tech are also popular.
Which cities do supermodels rent homes in most?
New York, Los Angeles and Miami are top rental destinations for supermodels due to the concentration of modeling agencies and major media markets there. Some also rent vacation homes in exotic locales like the Hamptons, Italy and the Caribbean.
Do celebrities rent the homes out after moving on?
Yes, many celebrity homes are rented out after the stars move on. For example, supermodels have rented properties previously owned by Heidi Klum, Kendall Jenner and Christie Brinkley. The pedigree and amenities in these celebrity homes are major draws.
What should you look for in a luxury rental as a model?
Top models should prioritize amenities like smart home tech, fitness studios, and outdoor spaces when renting luxury properties. Concierge services, security and privacy features also allow supermodels to unwind from their hectic careers.
Renting amazing luxury homes perfectly suits the jet-setting lifestyle of supermodels. They can lease spectacular mansions around the world without the hassles of buying or maintaining real estate long-term. Supermodels flock to rent stunning celebrity estates and penthouses in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and beyond. The flexibility, amenities and service afforded by high-end rentals let them comfortably pursue modeling opportunities however their careers take them. For supermodels, renting enviable properties is an advantage that supports their creative work and provides beautiful sanctuaries to recharge in.